[PC-BSD Testing] pbsd-snapshot-20120605 - new mount tray - mostly doesn't work for usb flash driives on my laptop

Ken Moore ken at pcbsd.org
Mon Jun 18 11:26:31 PDT 2012

On 06/15/2012 15:19, Curt Dox wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 15, 2012 at 5:50 AM, Ken Moore <ken at pcbsd.org
> <mailto:ken at pcbsd.org>> wrote:
>
>     On 06/15/2012 02:52, Curt Dox wrote:
>>

>>     On Thu, Jun 14, 2012 at 3:40 PM, Ken Moore <ken at pcbsd.org
>>     <mailto:ken at pcbsd.org>> wrote:
>>
>>         On 06/13/2012 16:17, Curt Dox wrote:
>>>

>>>         On Wed, Jun 13, 2012 at 7:44 AM, Ken Moore <ken at pcbsd.org
>>>         <mailto:ken at pcbsd.org>> wrote:
>>>
>>>             On 06/13/2012 06:15, user10508 at gmail.com
>>>             <mailto:user10508 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>>                 Mount tray initial state after boot:
>>>
>>>                 The mount tray lists sata-device-0 through
>>>                 sata-device-7.
>>>
>>>                 A mouse over of each of these mount tray entries
>>>                 results in a tool-tip
>>>                 like pop up with the message:
>>>
>>>                 unmounted - may be removed.
>>>
>>>                 Right clicking on a mount tray list item does not
>>>                 produce any action.
>>>
>>>                 Left clicking on a mount tray list item either
>>>                 results in the mounting
>>>                 of a partition or raises an exception with the message:
>>>
>>>                 The filesystem on this device is unknown and cannot
>>>                 be mounted at this
>>>                 time.
>>>
>>>                 Inserting a usb flash drive usually results in the
>>>                 addition of one
>>>                 device name to the mount tray item list. When a usb
>>>                 flash drive is
>>>                 inserted it is usually assigned the name:
>>>
>>>                 usb-device-0
>>>
>>>                 This device name is also found on the gnome desktop as:
>>>
>>>                 /media/USB-Device-0, a directory name; the contents
>>>                 of this directory
>>>                 is usually empty.
>>>
>>>                 Rarely, the device and its contents are mounted.
>>>

>>>                 About the nomenclature used to describe mount tray
>>>                 functionality:
>>>
>>>                 I don't have seven sata devices on my laptop. I do
>>>                 have one 500 GB sata
>>>                 disk currently with seven partitions.
>>>
>>>                 I know what mount tray is talking about because I've
>>>                 formatted the
>>>                 drive and the partitions in use manually.
>>>
>>>                 I think it would be clearer if  mount tray indicated
>>>                 both
>>>                 device and partition number.
>>>
>>>                 Usage case
>>>
>>>                 Were there two sata drives on my laptop the current
>>>                 method of
>>>                 describing entries could quickly become very
>>>                 confusing; for a desktop
>>>                 workstation, which might have several drives, I
>>>                 don't think this method
>>>                 would allow a user to quickly navigate to a
>>>                 particular partition and
>>>                 mount it with any degree of certainty.
>>>
>>>                 Additional configuration options:
>>>
>>>                 Is it possible to configure mount tray and tell it
>>>                 about a file system
>>>                 after the system is running - if not - please
>>>                 consider this as a right
>>>                 click option for a mount tray list item or a
>>>                 configuration option for
>>>                 mount tray on the pcbsd control panel.

>>>             Since the mount tray is a brand-new utility, we are
>>>             still working out some of the bugs in it.
>>>             Could you close the tray app, then run "sudo
> [...]

I just finished adding this automounting capability to the mount-tray. I
have it set to automount a device if it matches a saved device
label/name, filesystem type, and device type (example: "my_usb_stick",
FAT filesystem, USB device). I do not want to require a particular
device location (such as /dev/da0) because you might plug the device
into a different port on your computer or have additional devices
plugged in (so it might be /dev/da[X] instead).

It should be available for testing in the new snapshots coming up
(probably not the one scheduled for release in the next couple days, but
the one after that).

--
~~ Ken Moore ~~
PC-BSD/iXsystems