[PC-BSD Testing] pbsd-snapshot-20120605 - new mount tray - mostly doesn't work for usb flash driives on my laptop

Curt Dox tigersharke at gmail.com
Thu Jun 14 23:52:14 PDT 2012

On Thu, Jun 14, 2012 at 3:40 PM, Ken Moore <ken at pcbsd.org> wrote:

>  On 06/13/2012 16:17, Curt Dox wrote:
>

> On Wed, Jun 13, 2012 at 7:44 AM, Ken Moore <ken at pcbsd.org> wrote:
>
>>  On 06/13/2012 06:15, user10508 at gmail.com wrote:
>>
>>> Mount tray initial state after boot:
>>>
>>> The mount tray lists sata-device-0 through sata-device-7.
>>>
>>> A mouse over of each of these mount tray entries results in a tool-tip
>>> like pop up with the message:
>>>
>>> unmounted - may be removed.
>>>
>>> Right clicking on a mount tray list item does not produce any action.
>>>
>>> Left clicking on a mount tray list item either results in the mounting
>>> of a partition or raises an exception with the message:
>>>
>>> The filesystem on this device is unknown and cannot be mounted at this
>>> time.
>>>
>>> Inserting a usb flash drive usually results in the addition of one
>>> device name to the mount tray item list. When a usb flash drive is
>>> inserted it is usually assigned the name:
>>>
>>> usb-device-0
>>>
>>> This device name is also found on the gnome desktop as:
>>>
>>> /media/USB-Device-0, a directory name; the contents of this directory
>>> is usually empty.
>>>
>>> Rarely, the device and its contents are mounted.
>>>

>>> About the nomenclature used to describe mount tray functionality:
>>>
>>> I don't have seven sata devices on my laptop. I do have one 500 GB sata
>>> disk currently with seven partitions.
>>>
>>> I know what mount tray is talking about because I've formatted the
>>> drive and the partitions in use manually.
>>>
>>> I think it would be clearer if  mount tray indicated both
>>> device and partition number.
>>>
>>> Usage case
>>>
>>> Were there two sata drives on my laptop the current method of
>>> describing entries could quickly become very confusing; for a desktop
>>> workstation, which might have several drives, I don't think this method
>>> would allow a user to quickly navigate to a particular partition and
>>> mount it with any degree of certainty.
>>>
>>> Additional configuration options:
>>>
>>> Is it possible to configure mount tray and tell it about a file system
>>> after the system is running - if not - please consider this as a right
>>> click option for a mount tray list item or a configuration option for
>>> mount tray on the pcbsd control panel.

>>  Since the mount tray is a brand-new utility, we are still working out
>> some of the bugs in it.
>> Could you close the tray app, then run "sudo pc-mounttray" from a
>> terminal and let me know what kind of terminal outputs you are getting when
>> you try to mount your USB drives?
>> Also, I am currently working on a better device-name detection method for
>> the tray as well. As such, the next snapshot should have it working better.
>>
>> Thanks for the report!
>>
>> --
>> ~~ Ken Moore ~~
>> PC-BSD/iXsystems

> Hello..
>
> I have not extensively tested this feature, however, one idea does spring
> to mind after reading this. I am uncertain exactly how best to implement
> [...]
If a device has multiple partitions, it would be nice to set a preference
that all those partitions would automatically be mounted upon attachment.
The reverse of this preference would be that the specific partition(s) to
mount is user-chosen at attachment time while all identified/mountable
partitions are shown (about how it occurs in KDE).

I am not sure what effect mounting ada0 would have, if that device has
ada0s1, ada0s2, and ada0s3.  However, if there is a difference between
mounting ada0 versus mounting all of its partitions, then I guess I'd have
to think some more.

My thinking is, that generally, were I using Windows, and I insert a usb
device, the expectation would be that all partitions are mounted
automatically. However, this may not be the assumed result for many BSD
users. Assuming this device can be uniquely identified, device specific
actions could also be configured for automation..

I hope I have not muddled it worse.