[PC-BSD Testing] pbsd-snapshot-20120605 - new mount tray - mostly doesn't work for usb flash driives on my laptop

Ken Moore ken at pcbsd.org
Thu Jun 14 13:40:05 PDT 2012

On 06/13/2012 16:17, Curt Dox wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 13, 2012 at 7:44 AM, Ken Moore <ken at pcbsd.org
> <mailto:ken at pcbsd.org>> wrote:
>
>     On 06/13/2012 06:15, user10508 at gmail.com
>     <mailto:user10508 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>         Mount tray initial state after boot:
>
>         The mount tray lists sata-device-0 through sata-device-7.
>
>         A mouse over of each of these mount tray entries results in a
>         tool-tip
>         like pop up with the message:
>
>         unmounted - may be removed.
>
>         Right clicking on a mount tray list item does not produce any
>         action.
>
>         Left clicking on a mount tray list item either results in the
>         mounting
>         of a partition or raises an exception with the message:
>
>         The filesystem on this device is unknown and cannot be mounted
>         at this
>         time.
>
>         Inserting a usb flash drive usually results in the addition of one
>         device name to the mount tray item list. When a usb flash drive is
>         inserted it is usually assigned the name:
>
>         usb-device-0
>
>         This device name is also found on the gnome desktop as:
>
>         /media/USB-Device-0, a directory name; the contents of this
>         directory
>         is usually empty.
>
>         Rarely, the device and its contents are mounted.
>

>         About the nomenclature used to describe mount tray functionality:
>
>         I don't have seven sata devices on my laptop. I do have one
>         500 GB sata
>         disk currently with seven partitions.
>
>         I know what mount tray is talking about because I've formatted the
>         drive and the partitions in use manually.
>
>         I think it would be clearer if  mount tray indicated both
>         device and partition number.
>
>         Usage case
>
>         Were there two sata drives on my laptop the current method of
>         describing entries could quickly become very confusing; for a
>         desktop
>         workstation, which might have several drives, I don't think
>         this method
>         would allow a user to quickly navigate to a particular
>         partition and
>         mount it with any degree of certainty.
>
>         Additional configuration options:
>
>         Is it possible to configure mount tray and tell it about a
>         file system
>         after the system is running - if not - please consider this as
>         a right
>         click option for a mount tray list item or a configuration
>         option for
>         mount tray on the pcbsd control panel.

>     Since the mount tray is a brand-new utility, we are still working
>     out some of the bugs in it.
>     Could you close the tray app, then run "sudo pc-mounttray" from a
>     terminal and let me know what kind of terminal outputs you are
>     getting when you try to mount your USB drives?
>     Also, I am currently working on a better device-name detection
>     method for the tray as well. As such, the next snapshot should
>     have it working better.

> [...]

I am not sure that I understand exactly what you are referring to here.
Say for example that you have a hard-drive (ada0) with 3 partitions
(ada0s1,ada0s2,ada0s3). Do you mean that you would want an option to
mount ada0 in addition to mounting ada0s* partitions?
Right now it check for partitions once it detects a hard-drive (ada0),
and if there are no partitions (ada0s*) it lets you mount the disk
directly (ada0).

Disclaimer: The "ada0" label is just for example purposes, not a
limitation of what devices can be detected by the program

--
~~ Ken Moore ~~
PC-BSD/iXsystems