[PC-BSD Testing] pbsd-snapshot-20120605 - new mount tray - mostly doesn't work for usb flash driives on my laptop

Curt Dox tigersharke at gmail.com
Wed Jun 13 13:17:57 PDT 2012

On Wed, Jun 13, 2012 at 7:44 AM, Ken Moore <ken at pcbsd.org> wrote:

> On 06/13/2012 06:15, user10508 at gmail.com wrote:
>
>> Mount tray initial state after boot:
>>
>> The mount tray lists sata-device-0 through sata-device-7.
>>
>> A mouse over of each of these mount tray entries results in a tool-tip
>> like pop up with the message:
>>
>> unmounted - may be removed.
>>
>> Right clicking on a mount tray list item does not produce any action.
>>
>> Left clicking on a mount tray list item either results in the mounting
>> of a partition or raises an exception with the message:
>>
>> The filesystem on this device is unknown and cannot be mounted at this
>> time.
>>
>> Inserting a usb flash drive usually results in the addition of one
>> device name to the mount tray item list. When a usb flash drive is
>> inserted it is usually assigned the name:
>>
>> usb-device-0
>>
>> This device name is also found on the gnome desktop as:
>>
>> /media/USB-Device-0, a directory name; the contents of this directory
>> is usually empty.
>>
>> Rarely, the device and its contents are mounted.
>>

>> About the nomenclature used to describe mount tray functionality:
>>
>> I don't have seven sata devices on my laptop. I do have one 500 GB sata
>> disk currently with seven partitions.
>>
>> I know what mount tray is talking about because I've formatted the
>> drive and the partitions in use manually.
>>
>> I think it would be clearer if  mount tray indicated both
>> device and partition number.
>>
>> Usage case
>>
>> Were there two sata drives on my laptop the current method of
>> describing entries could quickly become very confusing; for a desktop
>> workstation, which might have several drives, I don't think this method
>> would allow a user to quickly navigate to a particular partition and
>> mount it with any degree of certainty.
>>
>> Additional configuration options:
>>
>> Is it possible to configure mount tray and tell it about a file system
>> after the system is running - if not - please consider this as a right
>> click option for a mount tray list item or a configuration option for
>> mount tray on the pcbsd control panel.

> Since the mount tray is a brand-new utility, we are still working out some
> of the bugs in it.
> Could you close the tray app, then run "sudo pc-mounttray" from a terminal
> and let me know what kind of terminal outputs you are getting when you try
> to mount your USB drives?
> Also, I am currently working on a better device-name detection method for
> the tray as well. As such, the next snapshot should have it working better.
>
> Thanks for the report!
>
> --
> ~~ Ken Moore ~~
> PC-BSD/iXsystems

Hello..

I have not extensively tested this feature, however, one idea does spring
to mind after reading this. I am uncertain exactly how best to implement
it, whether a preferences setting or nested tree, or some sort of
combination.  My thought is to enable 'mount by physical device' as an
option along with 'mount by slice/partition.'  This way, the average user
will get an expected result (especially assuming an automatic mount is
enabled) and BSD folks may also have their method.

Thanks for your efforts!