[PC-BSD Testing] pbsd-snapshot-20120605 - new mount tray - mostly doesn't work for usb flash driives on my laptop

Ken Moore ken at pcbsd.org
Wed Jun 13 05:44:10 PDT 2012

On 06/13/2012 06:15, user10508 at gmail.com wrote:
> Mount tray initial state after boot:
>
> The mount tray lists sata-device-0 through sata-device-7.
>
> A mouse over of each of these mount tray entries results in a tool-tip
> like pop up with the message:
>
> unmounted - may be removed.
>
> Right clicking on a mount tray list item does not produce any action.
>
> Left clicking on a mount tray list item either results in the mounting
> of a partition or raises an exception with the message:
>
> The filesystem on this device is unknown and cannot be mounted at this
> time.
>
> Inserting a usb flash drive usually results in the addition of one
> device name to the mount tray item list. When a usb flash drive is
> inserted it is usually assigned the name:
>
> usb-device-0
>
> This device name is also found on the gnome desktop as:
>
> /media/USB-Device-0, a directory name; the contents of this directory
> is usually empty.
>
> Rarely, the device and its contents are mounted.
>

> About the nomenclature used to describe mount tray functionality:
>
> I don't have seven sata devices on my laptop. I do have one 500 GB sata
> disk currently with seven partitions.
>
> I know what mount tray is talking about because I've formatted the
> drive and the partitions in use manually.
>
> I think it would be clearer if  mount tray indicated both
> device and partition number.
>
> Usage case
>
> Were there two sata drives on my laptop the current method of
> describing entries could quickly become very confusing; for a desktop
> workstation, which might have several drives, I don't think this method
> would allow a user to quickly navigate to a particular partition and
> mount it with any degree of certainty.
>
> Additional configuration options:
>
> Is it possible to configure mount tray and tell it about a file system
> after the system is running - if not - please consider this as a right
> click option for a mount tray list item or a configuration option for
> mount tray on the pcbsd control panel.

Since the mount tray is a brand-new utility, we are still working out
some of the bugs in it.
Could you close the tray app, then run "sudo pc-mounttray" from a
terminal and let me know what kind of terminal outputs you are getting
when you try to mount your USB drives?
Also, I am currently working on a better device-name detection method
for the tray as well. As such, the next snapshot should have it working
better.

Thanks for the report!

--
~~ Ken Moore ~~