[PC-BSD Testing] PC-BSD 9-STABLE-20120605 snapshot now available!

Mehmet Erol Sanliturk m.e.sanliturk at gmail.com
Thu Jun 7 14:28:40 PDT 2012

On Thu, Jun 7, 2012 at 11:04 AM, Kris Moore <kris at pcbsd.org> wrote:

> The next 20120605 snapshot in the PC-BSD 9-STABLE branch has just been
> released for i386 and amd64 architectures.
>
> This snapshot provides both users and developers a means to test out new
> features in the upcoming PC-BSD 9.1 release. This snapshot may contain
> buggy code and features, so users are encouraged to run it only on
> non-critical systems.
>
> Changes since the previous Snapshot
> * FreeBSD 9-STABLE from 05-30-2012
> * KDE 4.8!
> * Fix a bug causing installer to lockup near end of installation
> * Fix setup for 8021X configuration via GUI
> * Update font configuration to enable AA by default
> * Fix bugs doing updates to packages inside of the warden
> * Allow new ZFS dataset options during installation
> * Bugfixes and enhancements to the update tray notifier
> * Check jails for updates via the tray application automatically
> * Switch us to using http:// instead of ftp:// for updating, which
> allows proxy users to connect
> * Fixed bug enabling the static IP section via ethernet GUI
> * Add support for unattended installs via thinclient PXE
> * Add better Proxy configuration via GUI, will now set HTTP_PROXY
> universally across the system
>

> Highlights for the upcoming 9.1
>
> * New system installer! Greatly simplified for desktop and server installs.
> * New "PC-BSD Server" installation option. Includes command-line
> utilities like pbi-manager, warden, metapkgmanager and more.
> * Support for ZFS mirror / raidz(1,2,3) during installation.
> * Support for SWAP on ZFS, allowing entire disk ZFS installation.
> * Support for setting additional ZFS data-set options, such as
> compression, noexec, etc.
> * Warden jail management integrated into system. Allows creating jails
> via GUI, adding packages and other administration.
> * First boot setup wizard allows OEM installs to be easily performed.
> * New Bluetooth paring tray / GUI utilities.
> * New AppCafe improvements and preferences
> * Improvements to wifi utility
> * Fixed bug causing untranslated strings to show up empty.
> * Numerous bug-fixes to PC-BSD related utilities
> * Support for creating PXE boot server for remote desktop and installation.
> * ZFS beadm support
> * And much more!
>
> Errata
>
> * Users running previous snapshots may update now via the online
> updater. You will first need to apply the "Update Manager" 20120606
> update, then the snapshot update will appear.
>
> * If you wish to update from 9.0 to this snapshot you may do so by
> editing the /usr/local/share/pcbsd/pc-updatemanager/conf/sysupdate.conf
> file and changing the PATCHSET: variable to "pcbsdtest".
>
> After changing this variable, you may run the updater utility, to
> download a new update manager. Once this update manager is installed,
> the online update to the snapshot will appear.
>
> * There is a bug installing the PC-BSD Server on ZFS right now. If you
> [...]

Dear All ,

Many times I have expressed my ideas about PC-BSD  installation difficulty
. Now , the above snapshot installs very well . Progress is wonderful .

The detection of monitor size requires improvement :

 There is a tendency toward to detect monitor as Vesa ( 1280 x 1024 ) . For
large size monitors this is not good . When AUTO switch of the monitor is
pressed , it has switched to correct size . This means there is facility to
correctly detect the monitor size , but not operational initially .

I have installed a few programs from AppCafe .
Installations are very easy .

When Lazarus is executed , it could not find Free Pascal sources . Perhaps
it is installed , but I could not find such a directory in /usr .

Inclusion of fpc-src and fpc-doc ( if they are missing , or adjusting their
directories ) may be useful .

I do not know whether it is possible or not , in KDE launcher menu "Switch
to classic style"  is missing .
Inclusion of it ( if it is possible ) may be pleasing for users of it .

Thank you very much .

Mehmet Erol Sanliturk