[PC-BSD Testing] My first impressions of the PC-BSD 9-STABLE-20120605 snapshot

Mads Worsøe Duun mads at worsoe.dk
Thu Jun 7 12:45:25 PDT 2012

Here is my first impressions of PC-BSD 9-STABLE-20120605 snapshot

My xorg KMS problem seems to be partly fixed. The installation image stills
falls back to vesa, but it is acceptable, as it is just the installation.
When I reboot into the new installation, I can get the radeonhd driver to
work. Strangely PCBSD always autodetect radeon hd cards with the
xf86-video-radeonhd driver, witch is considered as discontinued, and gives
me very bad performance, and not the xf86-video-ati driver. An Xorg
-configure on a vanilla FreeBSD gets it right. When I try to force xorg to
use the xf86-video-ati driver, I see the KMS problem again. Is libdrm still
not build with WITH_KMS=false, or haven't all the ports that depends on
libdrm not been rebuild? As said earlier, building without the KMS option
in libdrm, and rebuild all ports that depend on it, works fine on a vanilla
FreeBSD.

The next thing is that I can't open the Window Manager and Window Manager
Tweaks in Xfce4. I will try to debug this a little more, and report my
findings.

Last, my keyboard layout (da_DK) is not respected in xorg. Think it has
something to do with the auto configuration of xorg, but I have to debug
this a little more too.

Mads Worsøe Duun