[PC-BSD Testing] service providers list for Broadband

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.org
Thu Jun 7 05:14:46 PDT 2012

On 06/06/2012 22:08, Gary Corell wrote:
>  There are a lot of people in a lot of countries using a large variety
> of providers and  their GSM or (W)CDMA USB Broadband  Modems that
> cannot connect via PCBSD. I know, I'm one of them here in the
> backwoods of the Philippines.
>  this is a URL for a Service Providers list described at the top of
> the list as being in the Public Domain. THe 163KB file is XML and is
> used by Ubuntu Network Manager  to configure with users' input to
> providers in  their country. The list starts in the UAE and goes down
> to Vietnam, and each county has several providers listed.  in the
> cases where CDMA is used,  there is usually a long  list of parameters
> needed and are provided by this file.
>   It appears that ubuntu's network manager uses this file and
> parameters included internally. that is I have not been able to find
> and kind of PPP configuration file that provides things like pap or
> chap, or any chat script for PPP.     In Ubuntu11
> //usr/share/mobile-broadband-provider-info$ /
>  This list does not provide any chat script for ppp.
>
>  Two of the brands of modems that I know of, using GSM or CDMA, are
> ZTE and HUAWEI both made in China.
>
>  The list treats not only  GSM/WCDMA modems but also tethered phones
> as well.
>
> Implementation of this list in pcbsd's Networkmanager would sure go a
> long way toward making PCBSD useable in a lot more of the world. the
> lack of it's use might explain why pcbsd has not been accepted as
> widely as we might like.
>  One more point. Where I am,  I am limited to only 2G service ( and
> the bottom of that, I might add) PCBSD's network manager in  the
> configuration panel only mentions 3G and PPP for tethering phones.
> GSM/WCDMA USB (EvDO) modems are not mentioned at all.
>  Certainly, I've been stuck with Ubuntu when I would a lot rather use
> PCBSD as I have since about V 1.5.
>  It is also possible that this list might be included somehow in
> FreeBSD directly.

Here's my stance on this. I think it would be a GREAT idea to have an
advanced PPP / 3G configuration GUI. However the problem is that I'm not
the guy to write it. In the past 10 years I've never once needed to use
PPP for 3G tethering (I use wifi hotspot on my phone), so I don't know
much about the process. What we need is somebody who uses this
technology and knows its ins-n-outs to work on a QT GUI front-end to the
process.