[PC-BSD Testing] service providers list for Broadband

Gary Corell wa5qjh at xmission.com
Wed Jun 6 19:08:15 PDT 2012

  There are a lot of people in a lot of countries using a large variety
of providers and  their GSM or (W)CDMA USB Broadband  Modems that cannot
connect via PCBSD. I know, I'm one of them here in the backwoods of the
Philippines.
  this is a URL for a Service Providers list described at the top of
the list as being in the Public Domain. THe 163KB file is XML and is
used by Ubuntu Network Manager  to configure with users' input to
providers in  their country. The list starts in the UAE and goes down to
Vietnam, and each county has several providers listed.  in the cases
where CDMA is used,  there is usually a long  list of parameters needed
and are provided by this file.
   It appears that ubuntu's network manager uses this file and
parameters included internally. that is I have not been able to find and
kind of PPP configuration file that provides things like pap or chap, or
any chat script for PPP.     In Ubuntu11
//usr/share/mobile-broadband-provider-info$ /
  This list does not provide any chat script for ppp.

  Two of the brands of modems that I know of, using GSM or CDMA, are ZTE
and HUAWEI both made in China.

  The list treats not only  GSM/WCDMA modems but also tethered phones as
well.

Implementation of this list in pcbsd's Networkmanager would sure go a
long way toward making PCBSD useable in a lot more of the world. the
lack of it's use might explain why pcbsd has not been accepted as widely
as we might like.
  One more point. Where I am,  I am limited to only 2G service ( and the
bottom of that, I might add) PCBSD's network manager in  the
configuration panel only mentions 3G and PPP for tethering phones.
GSM/WCDMA USB (EvDO) modems are not mentioned at all.
  Certainly, I've been stuck with Ubuntu when I would a lot rather use
PCBSD as I have since about V 1.5.
  It is also possible that this list might be included somehow in
FreeBSD directly.

--
---
Gary Corell