[PC-BSD Testing] Appcafe/PBI enhancements

Ben Milman ben at ixsystems.com
Wed Jun 6 13:33:21 PDT 2012

Hi, I have a couple of suggested enhancements for PBIs and the appcafe.

Firstly, I would suggest that the contextual menu for PBIs not offer
"install desktop/menu icons" if the PBI in question does not support that
functionality. Currently, choosing those options fails silently. I filed
this as ticket 608 https://trac.pcbsd.org/ticket/608

Secondly, WRT to PBIs in general I've noticed that many programs installed
from pbis contain file dialogs, and in most of those cases the dialog will
start with a default position of the pbi's installation directory. For
example, pdfedit's open file dialog. Is this something that has to be fixed
one PBI at a time (and if so, is it likely to be done in a common way or
unique to each one) or is it a more general architecture question about the
PBI system?

Thanks,
Ben