[PC-BSD Testing] USB image identification

Curt Dox tigersharke at gmail.com
Tue Jun 5 10:55:16 PDT 2012

On Tue, Jun 5, 2012 at 12:43 PM, Kris Moore <kris at pcbsd.org> wrote:

>  On 06/05/2012 13:35, Curt Dox wrote:
>
> Hello!
>
> I would like to know if there is already an easy way to discover the
> version/type of any particular USB stick after it has been burned but
> *without* needing to boot it.  Is there a readme file or some other sort of
> distinguishing feature that could be easily found that would indicate which
> USB image was burned?
>
> If such a thing does not exist, I would like to suggest a small
> readme/manifest file that would be in an easily reached location within
> each USB, right inside / if possible would be difficult to miss.
>
> Thanks!

> If you can mount the USB stick, you should see a "pcbsd-media" file on it,
> which contains the version string.
>
> --
>
>  I was unaware of that file. However, the stick in question is identified
by that file as '9.0-BETA3' which for it is only a version number, and says
nothing of whether it is the liveusb or boot-only or usbfull or what.
Another usb stick is identified by that file as '9.0'.

I would like to suggest adding the iso/img type: full, lite, boot-only,
etc, and also add the architecture: i386 or amd64, unless we choose to be
more precise with 32-bit vs 64-bit.

Thank you!