[PC-BSD Testing] Xorg unloads radeon module because KMS is enabled

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.org
Mon Jun 4 09:49:19 PDT 2012

On 06/03/2012 05:45, Mads Worsøe Duun wrote:

>     Have you discussed this with anybody on the FreeBSD xorg mailing list?
>
>     http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-x11/
>
>     This seems like something the xorg maintainers would be aware of,
>     and possibly have a work-around for.
>
> In freebsd-x11 they told me that libdrm probably is build using
> WITH_KMS=YES, and that may be a problem on non Intel cards. Today I
> will try to build xorg with WITH_NEW_XORG=YES and WITH_KMS=YES on a
> clean FreeBSD, and see what happens. Btw. I guess Dru has told you
> about the Solaris-like
> beadm http://forums.freebsd.org/showthread.php?t=31662, http://www.freshports.org/sysutils/beadm/.
> This is pretty smart for this xorg test, as I can roll back to
> the previous beadm as if nothing was changed.
>
> Mads Worsøe Duun

Yes, the new snapshots are all built with WITH_NEW_XORG=YES, so we get
the latest Intel drivers, etc. If that fails on your vanilla freebsd,
then we can narrow it down to those enhancements causing the problem.

I've added the beadm port for future snapshots, will take a closer look
at implementation down the road :)