[PC-BSD Testing] Freeze after running display wizard

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.org
Tue Jul 31 07:48:31 PDT 2012

On 07/30/2012 15:26, Lars Engels wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 30, 2012 at 11:33:32AM -0400, Kris Moore wrote:
>>> I removed /var/.startxgui and can start X with the intel driver. What
>>> does happen when the display wizard ends?

>> Its a bug in the video driver. Some intel systems, when you close X, it
>> hangs the video and wont come back up. That's what's happening in this
>> case, when it tries to restart X, it fails and doesn't come back up.
> Maybe it's better to offer a reboot, then? Otherwise the box is in an
> endless loop until the flag file is deleted.

I've done some looking into this now. It looks like even if we offer
"reboot" option, you are going to hit the same bug when the first boot
wizard starts, since at the end, it shuts down X to load GDM for the
first time..

Can you confirm that is really the issue, if you login and logout of a
desktop, does the display go away when it tries to reload GDM?