[PC-BSD Testing] 9.1-BETA1 now available! (Update)

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.org
Thu Jul 26 14:01:46 PDT 2012

On 07/26/2012 15:50, Lars Engels wrote:
> Sorry for the quoting style. My web mailer doesn't seem to like to
> quote bigger
> mails, so I'm writing this with "kate". :)
>
>> - GDM configuration app doesn't have an option to set the locale, so
>> you're
>>   still stuck with an US keyboard :)
>> Can you look at /usr/local/etc/gdm/home? What user owns this
>> directory? I don't see this error here, and its owned by gdm:gdm. If
>> you run "chown -R gdm:gdm /usr/local/etc/gdm/home" does it fix it?
>
> Hmmm, /usr/local/etc/gdm is owned by root:wheel, home is gdm:gdm with
> mode 0700. Inside home every file is owned by gdm:gdm but
> without x rights for the directories:
>

> Running find /usr/local/etc/gdm -type d | xargs chmod u+x
> fixed that and more:
> GDM now offers to change the keyboard in the login window, and
> metacity is no longer started
> but kwin. :-)

Just found + fixed the root cause of this now, should work out of box :)

>> - Inserting a FAT formatted and PC-BSD's installer stick doesn't show
>> anything
>>   on the desktop, /var/log/messages shows they were recognized as
>> da4(s1) and
>>   da5(s1) and volmand CREATEd the devices (Mount Tray is not started
>>   automatically)
>> Did the get mounted in the background? If you run mount do you see
>> them? How about in dolphin, on the left bar?
>
> No, it's not mounted in the background, neither it shows up in
> dolphin. I can mount it manually however. When mount
> tray is started, I am offered to mount it. Maybe it doesn't work with
> dolphin / KDE's own mounter because it's not
> labeled? But that would be a regression, as this worked in earlier
> versions.

My guess would be that its a KDE / HAL regression of some type.. I've
not made any changes to this here.

> Why is tray mount not started at login?

The tray is working again now, was disabled by mistake :P

>> - Memory says 4.75 GB, but dmesg has 4096 MB real and 3883 MB avail
>> (same issue
>>   in pc-sysmanager)
>>
>> What does "sysctl -a | grep hw.realmem" show?
>
> hw.realmem: 5100273664

That was the issue, I've changed it to use hw.physmem now :)

>> - All the PC-BSD Tools have a different scroll bar that the KDE apps
>> (probably
>>   GTK vs. Qt, but there are ways to match their look :) )
>> They seem to look the same here, using the QtCurve themes inside KDE.
>> Does that match properly?
>
> It looks like this: http://imgur.com/VV1X3
> In the GTK Styles config GUI I have "User my KDE style in GTK
> applications". Changing it to "QtCurve"
> doesn't seem to apply to e.g. PC-BSD system settings. It's still the
> same look as before there.

The PC-BSD system settings is a QT app, so its not going to respond to
any GTK changes. You can adjust it through the KDE system settings ->
application appearance utility.

>> - Maybe the workgroup in smb.conf should be named "WORKGROUP" as this
>> is the
>>   standard group name in Windows, so you can easily browse for your
>> Windows
>>   shares in Dolphin and XBMC
>> Its set to the samba default right now. We may change it, or perhaps
>> add a graphical way to do so down the road.
>> - Startup notification for XBMC should be disabled, the icon is still
>> jumping
>>   up and down after XBMC started successfully
>> That menu icon comes with the package, may need to do that upstream.
>> - The component installer for the meta packages should have a
>> download speed and
>>   remaining time display. Downloading a bigger meta package can take
>> a long time
>>   so this would be very useful
>> Agreed, on the wiki for 9.2 stuff to work on :)
>>
>> Lars
>
> BTW the pre-installed gvim does not work. It only shows a gray window
> and hangs.
> truss shows:
> read(4,"" zipPlugin.vim: Handles browsin"...,4096) = 2123 (0x84b)
> stat("/usr/local/share/vim/vim73/plugin/zipPlugin.vim",{
> mode=-rw-r--r-- ,inode=92709,size=2123,blksize=4096 }) = 0 (0x0)
> close(4)                                         = 0 (0x0)
> stat("/usr/local/share/vim/vimfiles/after/plugin/",0x7fffffffccb0)
> ERR#2 'No such file or directory'
> stat("/usr/local/share/vim/vimfiles/after/plugin/",0x7fffffffce00)
> ERR#2 'No such file or directory'
> stat("/usr/home/lars/.vim/after/plugin/",0x7fffffffccb0) ERR#2 'No
> such file or directory'
> stat("/usr/home/lars/.vim/after/plugin/",0x7fffffffce00) ERR#2 'No
> such file or directory'
> pipe(0x7fffffffd1e0)                             = 0 (0x0)
> fork()                                           = 38064 (0x94b0)
> close(5)                                         = 0 (0x0)
> read(4,0x7fffffffd1d0,9)                         ERR#4 'Interrupted
> system call'
> SIGNAL 2 (SIGINT)

I just ran "gvim" as my user here, and it seems to start fine, comes up
with no error messages. Could it be a locale issue? Try setting LANG to
en_US.UTF-8 first, maybe that is culprit?