[PC-BSD Testing] 9.1-BETA1 now available! (Update)

N V vans9 at yandex.ru
Thu Jul 26 10:18:11 PDT 2012

On 24 июля 2012 23:33:18 Kris Moore wrote:
> On 07/20/2012 10:51, N V wrote:
> > Hi.
> >
> > I've PCBSD9.1-BETA1-x64-DVD.iso. Installer suggested LXDE (it's vbox with
> > 1Gb or RAM). I've choosen Russian during installation and first boot.
> > LXDE lacks keyboard layout configuration tool. So I have only English
> > layout in the installed system. So, being global, it's not related just
> > only to LXDE. Shoudn't we have the file in the
> > /usr/local/etc/hal/fdi/policy/, say x11- keyboard.fdi with such content:
> > <deviceinfo version="0.2">
> >
> >   <device>
> >
> >     <match key="info.capabilities" contains="input.keyboard">
> >
> >       <merge key="input.x11_options.XkbLayout"
> >       type="string">your_lang_here,
> >
> > us</merge>
> >
> >       <merge key="input.x11_options.XkbVariant" type="string">(here can
> >       be
> >
> > winkeys, whatever),</merge>
> >
> >       <merge key="input.x11_options.XkbOptions"
> >
> > type="string">grp:alt_shift_toggle</merge>
> >
> >     </match>
> >
> >   </device>
> >
> > </deviceinfo>
> >
> > So we have correct language for the user, and US-English as a fallback.
> > Or even us english being default (because user have to enter password in
> > gdm, most of the urls are in english, etc.). But we still lack a tool to
> > configure layout globally (if it's ever needed). Of course, we may use
> > alf_shift_toggle or ctrl_shift_toggle or whatever you think is suitable.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Vans.
>
> This seems like a good idea. Is this something we would have to
> customize with each install to set the relevant language codes? Or would
> some generic version work that interacts with the keyboard layout
> selected via GDM?

Well, if I've understood you right, we have to customize selected language
here <merge key="input.x11_options.XkbLayout"
type="string">us,your_lang_here</merge>

I have no idea, what is the desired default for most users: english, or the
selected language. Personally I use english as the default one.

And here
 <merge key="input.x11_options.XkbVariant" type="string"></merge>
we shouldn't add anything possibly. There is language specific settings in this
line, like winkeys, etc. So if we don't touch this line, we can ommit it at
all, imho.

Reagrds,
Vans.