[PC-BSD Testing] 9.1-BETA1 now available! (Update)

Lars Engels lars.engels at 0x20.net
Sat Jul 21 04:36:10 PDT 2012

On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 09:02:36AM -0400, Kris Moore wrote:

> (Slight Update: The URL for download has been fixed, sorry about the noise!)
>
> The BETA1 images for the upcoming PC-BSD 9.1 is now available for i386 and amd64 architectures!
>
> This beta provides both users and developers a means to test out new
> features in the upcoming PC-BSD 9.1 release. This snapshot may contain
> buggy code and features, so users are encouraged to run it only on
> non-critical systems.

Alright, you wanted us to test it, so I did. :-)
Let me first say that I am very impressed with the warden and the other
new tools, but I also found some issues and proposals:

Installer:

- First screen: Tooltips for icons are hardly readable

- Language selector: Lower / Upper cases are mixed

- The Icons should be more prominent, a user doesn't know if he is to click on
  them or not

- The Help Icon still shows the help messages for the old installer

- The Virtual Keyboard is not closable

- The Keyboard Selector has all languages in English, while the Language
  Selector has them localized

- The Customize Desktop Selection Window has Window Title "Form"

- There's no way to configure wired network and hostname

- No option to start the sshd on boot

First boot wizard:

- Why again the language selection?

- Keyboard layout is again English

- The Wireless Connection screen doesn't offer to enter an SSID for a hidden
  network

GDM:

- Before gdm's start, error message "Could not update ICEauthority file
  /usr/local/etc/gdm/home/.ICEauthority

- (translated from German): There was a problem with the configuration server
  /usr/local/libexec/gconf-sanity-check-2 ended with status 256

- The keyboard settings are English again and it's not possible to change it,
  so you need to know where to find the keys on an US keyboard layout or you're
  not able to login

- GDM configuration app doesn't have an option to set the locale, so you're
  still stuck with an US keyboard :)

Welcome Window:

- Back and Next buttons are not localized

- Update Screenshot has the old updater icon

KDE Taskbar:
- I am able to change my keyboard layout to German with the help of the locale
  switcher icon! \o/ However it switched back to English a short time after /o\
  (2 times, now it seems to stay German)

- Inserting a FAT formatted and PC-BSD's installer stick doesn't show anything
  on the desktop, /var/log/messages shows they were recognized as da4(s1) and
  da5(s1) and volmand CREATEd the devices (Mount Tray is not started
  automatically)

- The system clock in the tray went from the correct 18:00h to 20:00h after
  some seconds, its settings says UTC, although I selected Europe/Berlin in the
  installer

- The quick locale switcher icon in the tray still happily jumps between German
  and English, whenever I click on an icon in the tray

- Hibernate option in the logout section of KDE's menu and probably also from
  the other DEs and XBMC should be removed in the source, because it's not
  supported on FreeBSD and will crash your computer

AppCafe:

- No space between value and unit in the download status bar (e.g. 600KBs
  instead of 600 KB/s)

- Appcafe could have a "most downloaded apps" section?

- When a Category is selected there should be a heading saying in which
  category one is at the moment, maybe like "Appcafe > Audio > aTunes"

- Add a Close button at the bottom of the Appcafe?

- Maybe add one or more screenshots for the PBIs just like on pbidir.com?

About:

- Memory says 4.75 GB, but dmesg has 4096 MB real and 3883 MB avail (same issue
  in pc-sysmanager)

Warden:
- Configuration of network interfaces could be a dropdown list of available
  interfaces + the ability to change it manually and leave it empty

- IP Address could be left blank for a portsjail?

- The fetch process could show a progress bar and the current download speed

- A button for enabling / disabling a jail's autostart would be useful,
  right-clicking the jail isn't so obvious

- I created a Gentoo jail called "gentoojail" but jls shows Hostname
  "localhost"

Misc:

- All the PC-BSD Tools have a different scroll bar that the KDE apps (probably
  GTK vs. Qt, but there are ways to match their look :) )

- KDE's Window decoration looks really 90ies (KDE 1.x style?), though Oxygen is
  selected and its preview looks much nicer, the style also doesn't change after
  logging out and in again -- Ahh, I just found out: The PC-BSD system
  configuration program just crashed and now there's a window if it should be
  closed forcefully. And this window has title "Metacity", so it's Gnome 2's
  window manager in a KDE 4 session, WTF? ;-)

- The tooltips on pc-controlpanel are white font on bright(est) blue
  background, so they're unreadable

- KSystemLog says: "Pango-WARNING: error opening config file
  '/usr/local/etc/gdm/home/.pangorc": Permission denied

- A double click on the updater icon in the tray starts Appcafe instead of the
  system update tool

- The Hardware Compatibility Tool should not only display the device names but
  also their "real" names, especially for the sound device as you can have a
  bunch of devices

- The font in the service manager is too big

- Misc. in pc-sysmanager has Boot Screen disabled but it is active nonetheless

- pc-sysmanager only has a Save button but no Cancel button

- pc-pfmanger is missing Close / Cancel buttons

- pc-updategui has the old icon in the control panel

- Dolphin shows the Windows 7 DVD as UDF_Volume but refuses to mount:
  org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.Volume.UnknownFailure: mount_udf: /dev/cd0: invalid
  argument

- Mount Tray doesn't show the DVD at all

- Wireless configuration: the psk for WPA networks should be hashed with
  wpa_passphrase(8)

- I configured my wireless network and it worked but when I removed it's config
  the tooltip in the tray's wireless icon still says that I am connected to my
  WLAN, although "ifconfig wlan0" shows I am disconnected

- Maybe the workgroup in smb.conf should be named "WORKGROUP" as this is the
  standard group name in Windows, so you can easily browse for your Windows
  shares in Dolphin and XBMC

- Startup notification for XBMC should be disabled, the icon is still jumping
  up and down after XBMC started successfully

- The component installer for the meta packages should have a download speed and
  remaining time display. Downloading a bigger meta package can take a long time
  so this would be very useful

Lars