[PC-BSD Testing] 9.1-BETA1 now available! (Update)

N V vans9 at yandex.ru
Fri Jul 20 07:51:39 PDT 2012

Hi.

I've PCBSD9.1-BETA1-x64-DVD.iso. Installer suggested LXDE (it's vbox with 1Gb
or RAM). I've choosen Russian during installation and first boot. LXDE lacks
keyboard layout configuration tool. So I have only English layout in the
installed system. So, being global, it's not related just only to LXDE.
Shoudn't we have the file in the /usr/local/etc/hal/fdi/policy/, say x11-
keyboard.fdi with such content:
<deviceinfo version="0.2">
  <device>
    <match key="info.capabilities" contains="input.keyboard">
      <merge key="input.x11_options.XkbLayout" type="string">your_lang_here,
us</merge>
      <merge key="input.x11_options.XkbVariant" type="string">(here can be
winkeys, whatever),</merge>
      <merge key="input.x11_options.XkbOptions"
type="string">grp:alt_shift_toggle</merge>
    </match>
  </device>
</deviceinfo>

So we have correct language for the user, and US-English as a fallback. Or
even us english being default (because user have to enter password in gdm,
most of the urls are in english, etc.). But we still lack a tool to configure
layout globally (if it's ever needed). Of course, we may use alf_shift_toggle
or ctrl_shift_toggle or whatever you think is suitable.

Regards,
Vans.