[PC-BSD Testing] 9.1-BETA1 upgrade problem

Harlan Stenn stenn at ntp.org
Thu Jul 19 14:37:41 PDT 2012

I had a box running 9.0-STABLE from around 11 June 2012.

I had it do an upgrade to 9.1-BETA1 last night.

This morning the box told me to reboot it to start the actual upgrade.

After the final reboot of the process I was getting messages aabout init
not being able to exec /usr/libexec/getty.

I rebooted the box into single-user mode (it was upset that I did not do
a clean shutdown, and I think it also noticed I had read-only
filesystems), ran fsck -p, and noticed that no filesystems were mounted.

After a bit more digging I noticed that /etc/rc was 0 bytes long.

I copied /etc/rc.backup to /etc/rc and rebooted the box - seems OK after
that (although I don't know that my /etc/rc is at the correct revision).

If more info is needed please let me know.

--
Harlan Stenn <stenn at ntp.org>
http://networktimefoundation.org  - be a member!