[PC-BSD Testing] Trouble with linux jails

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.org
Thu Jul 19 12:27:36 PDT 2012

On 07/19/2012 13:57, Ben Milman wrote:
> Hello,
>
> So I installed Beta 1 64 bit in virtualbox on a Windows 7 host with 4
> gigs of RAM assigned and ZFS chosen (by default) at install. I decided
> to give linux jails a whirl and encountered a couple of difficulties.
>
> Firstly, the debian6 script appears to install a non-functioning jail.
> That is, the installation appears to succeed, but attempting to start
> the jail fails with just a flicker of the usual progress window. If
> there's a place I should be looking for failure logs, let me know and
> I'll attach them.
>
> The gentoo jail does work, but attempting to revert to a snapshot on
> it spews out a bunch of scary errors (that aren't present on FreeBSD
> jails). It does appear to work, however.
>
> Thanks,
> Ben

Thanks for the heads up, this should be fixed now. Go ahead and grab the
latest src-sh/warden and run "make install" on it. Then do this from the
CLI:

# warden stop <ip of old debian jail>

Then run:

# warden delete <ip of old debian jail>

Now you can re-create the jail from the GUI, and it should start
properly now. You can see the output by running "warden start <ip>" and
"warden stop <ip>" from the CLI.

As for the scary errors, that is normal right now. The linux shutdown
scripts fail in all kinds of interesting ways, since they don't really
know what a jail is. I'm trying to remove some of them, but its quite
different with each Linux distro.