[PC-BSD Testing] 9.1-BETA1 now available!

Arthur A-Koziol at neiu.edu
Thu Jul 19 09:18:46 PDT 2012

On 07/19/2012 9:24 AM, Kris Moore wrote:
> On 07/19/2012 10:12, Arthur wrote:
>> Kris,
>>
>> I'm currently trying to install the new beta on x86 but it seems to
>> be stuck on KDE installation. Currently, it's stuck on "Installing
>> Meta-Package: KDE" (18%) and "Installing package:
>> kde-workspace-4.8.4" (12%). It's been stuck on this percentage for
>> about 30 minutes now. HD light is solid but there is no DVD activity.
>> Machine is not locked up or anything.
>>
>> Arthur
>>

> Right-click to open an xterm, and run "top" is anything using up CPU?

It's showing pkg_add as the highest CPU using process but at around
1%+/-. That's nothing. However, I think I have found the problem. I'm
using my usual abuse box (Dell Optiplex 960, 4GB RAM//, Core 2 Duo
3.3GHz) and I am noticing that when I choose to install by just using
the "Next" buttons, it defaults to ZFS when partitioning the drive. So I
restarted the install and did and Advanced install when it came to the
HD and chose SU+J. When I used this option, installation completed in
around 11 minutes and it did not hang at the previous place. So in this
case, I am pointing the finger squarely at ZFS.

I don't know how strongly committed you guys are committed to the model
of if RAM => 4GB use ZFS else if RAM < 4GB use SU+J, but it's just my
humblest of opinions to suggest defaulting to UFS instead of ZFS even if
a system has 4GB or more. Otherwise, maybe give some kind of option to
choose one or the other during that portion of the install and explain
the difference. To me, ZFS should be left to the realm of the uber power
users or those who'd want to dig around in the Advanced menu options and
choose it specifically. It could be that this is just a one-off event
that happened to me but some other user installing 9.1 might encounter
this and say "WTF?" and think it's hung up on something and scrap the
install not knowing ZFS was to blame. Just sayin'.

Other than that, install went fine with SU+J, detected monitor and
on-board Intel VGA just fine. Looks great so far!

cheers,
Arthur