[PC-BSD Testing] PC-BSD 9 amd64

Odhiambo Washington odhiambo at gmail.com
Mon Jan 23 06:33:48 PST 2012

On Thu, Jan 19, 2012 at 22:41, Kris Moore <kris at pcbsd.org> wrote:

>  On 01/19/2012 03:17, Odhiambo Washington wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I finally got lucky - that PC-BSD 9 agreed to install on my Lenovo T61 and
> seems to be running well.
>
> However, I have noticed three problems so far.
>
> 1. Using AppCafe, any application I try to update/install fails. The
> download kinda starts but fails immediately. The error msg "An error
> occurred wile installing $appname. You may need to update this PBI
> manually".
>
> That sounds like the download is failing each time. Is the net up and
> working? You can also change the PBI mirror via AppCafe -> Repos ->
> Configure, just in case the issue is you can't get to the one selected.

For some strange reason, this is now working, even without me chaging
anything.

>  2. My Ethernet interface fails to start completely, so I have to use my
> WLAN. My Ethernet is em0. Whyit fails to start is what beats me. It's been
> running fine with Linux Mint and Windows 8 Preview (installed on another
> disk which I swap with the one on which PC-BSD is installed.
>
> That is odd, run this command, do you see any error / weird messages?
>
> dmesg | grep em0

It always failed to start. My laptop has been connected to power for so
long, I think. I had to disconnect power, pull out the battery, and return
it - enough to prod the Ethernet controller to start working again. Maybe
this is a Lenovo disease.

>  3. I have a Huawe E1820 dongle which I'd love to use, but I cannot figure
> out what is required to get it going.
>

> Do you get a device name when you plug it in? FWIW, I found this online:
>
> http://forums.freebsd.org/showthread.php?t=24738

ugen6.2: <Huawei Technologiess> at usbus6
u3g0: <Huawei Technologies HUAWEI Mobile, class 0/0, rev 2.00/0.00, addr 2>
on usbus6
u3g0: Found 3 ports.

I will see what I can do to get it running. I remember seeing some notes
somewhere.

Thank you.

--
Best regards,