[PC-BSD Testing] Some boot screens..

Yuri Momotiuk yurkis at gmail.com
Wed Jan 18 03:56:48 PST 2012

2012/1/16 Kris Moore <kris at pcbsd.org>

>  On 01/16/2012 05:02, Yuri Momotiuk wrote:
>
> I just try to merge back my kernels boot menu and clear timeout with new
> graphical boot loader, so I'll touch loader.conf, beastie.4th and
> bootloader theme files. If you provide images for loader menu and boot
> splash in single style, I can add it.
> Currently I use variant of current boot splash (with smaller loago) for
> boot menu.
>

> Yuri,
>
> Let me know if you can get that working. I kept getting dictionary full
> errors when I would try to put the kernel boot menu in. Seems some changes
> to 9.0 made it have much less room in beastie.4th available for our custom
> options.

Dictonary size is set when bootloader initialize Ficl (forth interpreter)
by calling :

* FICL_SYSTEM *ficlInitSystem(int nDictCells)Initializes Ficl's shared
system data structures, and creates the dictionary allocating the specified
number of CELLs from the heap (by a call to ficlMalloc) *
That is in sys/boot/common/interp_forth.c (9.0 RELEASE):

  237 <http://fxr.watson.org/fxr/source/boot/common/interp_forth.c?v=FREEBSD9#L237>
    bf_sys <http://fxr.watson.org/fxr/ident?v=FREEBSD9;im=bigexcerpts;i=bf_sys>
= ficlInitSystem
<http://fxr.watson.org/fxr/ident?v=FREEBSD9;im=bigexcerpts;i=ficlInitSystem>(10000);
    */* Default dictionary ~4000 cells */*

We can patch and rebuild bootloader to increase dictonary size.

In any case I plan to add more powerful kernels menu (not only for generic
and kernel.old but for all present kernels). So small patch to loader is
good idea , I think.
--
Best regards, Yuri Momotyuk