[PC-BSD Testing] Upgrade question

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.org
Mon Jan 16 12:29:34 PST 2012

On 01/14/2012 05:22, Jeff wrote:
> I have PCBSD 8.1, 64bit, and would like to upgrade to 9.0.
>
> I have several Warden jails setup running Drupal 6 which requires PHP
> 5.2 and though no longer supported, can still be installed.
>
> Will I be able to reimport these jails to V9 or will I have to rebuild
> them?  These jails were originally built in PCBSD 7 and imported to 8.1.
>
> Of course I'll have to reinstall all of the PBIs and other programs
> installed from ports in the base system, but will I be able to copy
> over the config files from /home and not skip a beat, so to speak?
>
> Can't say I've had much luck in the past trying that route, though not
> sure why.  Especially concerned about things like Firefox where I have
> a gazillion add-ons that would be a royal pain to setup from scratch
> again.
>
> The last time I tried this, upgrading from 7 to 8, importing config
> files didn't work and I had to start  from scratch.  Not looking to
> repeat that nightmare!
>
> What should I do to ensure a smooth upgrade?
>
> Thanks, Jeff

Jeff,

What i've done in this case is just backup my home directory to a tar file:

% cd ~
% tar cvzf home-bak.tgz --exclude ./home-back.tgz .

Then save that file somewhere, and after installing 9.0, bring it back
to the system and extract the bits I needed:

% tar xvf home-bak.tgz .mozilla

That gets your firefox stuff back, same can be done with .thunderbird,
etc. Just be warned, you may need to remake the flash plugin with
"flashpluginctl off && flashpluginctl on" to get the latest one for 9.

As for the jails, I would simple back those up in the same manner to a
tar file, and move them to the new system to re-enable them. BTW, are
those jails still running 7.x? You may want to update those as some
point as well :)