[PC-BSD Testing] PCBSD-9.0-RELEASE available for download

Bjoern A. Zeeb bzeeb-lists at lists.zabbadoz.net
Mon Jan 9 14:08:35 PST 2012

On 9. Jan 2012, at 19:10 , Lars Engels wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 09, 2012 at 10:33:30AM -0600, Arthur Koziol wrote:

>>> SSSSHHHHH!

No need, I read it anyway:)

>>> Last time we stepped on some toes when we released before FreeBSD had

Nah it's 3 releases back - it was the last .0 I think :)

>>> officially announced. Right now the ISO's are on the mirrors, but we are
>>> waiting for the release announcement until after FreeBSD's goes out, but
>>> that doesn't mean you can't get a head start :)

Yeah both projects have things on mirrors and people start using them the moment
they are there.  I bet there are enough people out there using scripts to find
the fastest mirror close by to get them the very first minute:)

I am very thankful for avoiding the confusion of work based on FreeBSD 9.0
being released before FreeBSD 9.0 is officially released as it avoids two
orders of zillions more question, especially since the PC-BSD project does
really well to tell it to the world:)

I know at least two more people building releases "snapshots" for other things
than a great Desktop and are also waiting currently having things in place.

>> Really? Strange as it may be, the first thing that popped into my head
>> when I read this was "U mad bro?"
>>
>> I grabbed it this morning on a hunch. Thanx Kris!
>
> As long as there's no official annoucement, that FreeBSD 9.0 is
> available you shouldn't use the ISO images. The ISOs have just been
> re-rerolled because there was an issue with sysinstall (yes, it's still
> there in 9.0), so we all should wait until the announcement.

Yeah and luckily it was only a change to the DVD images not affecting
the base distribution itself on all media but a meta data file missing.
Re-rolling is indeed in theory possible until the signed email is out
easily or to some step shortly before that long past the first downloads.
The problems of distributed mirror systems...

/bz

   It does not matter how good you are. It matters what good you do!