[PC-BSD Testing] Patch to test fast-booting

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.org
Wed Jan 4 14:58:44 PST 2012

Attached is another attempt at the fast-boot option to a GUI. As usual
place both of these in /etc/rc, and make sure you have a copy of your
original /etc/rc before doing so.

To enable the fast-boot, add this to /etc/rc.conf:
rcfastgui="YES"

Once you reboot, you can take a look at the log file
/var/log/rc_delay.log to see what was started in delayed mode, and compare
the start / finish time to get an idea of how many seconds this saves on
your system. On my netbook it saves 40 second, my desktop 18, so it may
vary quite a bit :)

Please report back your results / feedback, or any bugs encountered :)