[PC-BSD Testing] PC-BSD snapshot with Xorg 7.5.2

Arthur Koziol A-Koziol at neiu.edu
Tue Feb 28 10:38:52 PST 2012

On 02/28/2012 12:23 PM, Kris Moore wrote:
> On 02/28/2012 13:16, Mehmet Erol Sanliturk wrote:
>>

>> On Tue, Feb 28, 2012 at 11:08 AM, Kris Moore <kris at pcbsd.org
>> <mailto:kris at pcbsd.org>> wrote:
>>
>>     On 02/27/2012 13:57, Mehmet Erol Sanliturk wrote:
>>     >
>>     >
>>     > My opinion is that "Stamping boot0 on /dev/ada0 ..."
>>     > is NOT working .
>>     >
>>     > I think , after writing that part , a check by reading it to verify
>>     > correctness of writing
>>     > ( if it is possible ) may be useful , because , nearly , all of the
>>     > boot failures are result of
>>     > failure of this step .
>>     >

>>     >

>>     The installer does check the exit status of these stamp commands to
>>     ensure they finish properly.
>>
>>     We can easily test if boot0 is the problem though. If you do the
>>     install
>>     again, go to disk setup -> advanced and use the full disk, try
>>     checking
>>     "GPT" mode this time. It wont do the boot0 install, but instead
>>     will do
>>     a pmbr setup which may work better on your system.
>>

>>     --
>>     Kris Moore
>>     PC-BSD Software
>>     iXsystems
>>

>> Exit status always may not show correct value . For that reason ,
>> copy operations , CD/DVD burning programs are VERIFYING written data
>> by re-reading it . My suggestion was such a re-read to verify whether
>> written values are correctly written or not .
>>

>> The installation performed with respect to the above steps :
>> "Partition disk with GPT" has been checked .
>>

> Ok, that helps us determine that it works fine when you use GPT
> booting. I don't think it has anything to do with writing boot to
> disk, if you are having write failures to the boot sector, then you
> have bigger problems hardware-wise. Sounds like its something to do
> with the MBR layout instead.

> Remember, this is an experimental Intel patch, you may want to report
> this issue over to the freebsd-x11 list now. Sounds like the failure
> is occurring that when X shuts down it hangs the box.

Mehmet,

With respect to HD hardware possibly being at fault, I suggest grabbing
the Parted Magic 12_2_19 ISO, burn it, and then boot from it. It has a
very thorough hardware testing app called Disk Health which could
determine if you have drive faults. I suggest you run the Extended
Self-Test option of Disk Health.

Arthur