[PC-BSD Testing] PC-BSD snapshot with Xorg 7.5.2

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.org
Tue Feb 28 10:23:56 PST 2012

On 02/28/2012 13:16, Mehmet Erol Sanliturk wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 28, 2012 at 11:08 AM, Kris Moore <kris at pcbsd.org
> <mailto:kris at pcbsd.org>> wrote:
>
>     On 02/27/2012 13:57, Mehmet Erol Sanliturk wrote:
>     >
>     >
>     > My opinion is that "Stamping boot0 on /dev/ada0 ..."
>     > is NOT working .
>     >
>     > I think , after writing that part , a check by reading it to verify
>     > correctness of writing
>     > ( if it is possible ) may be useful , because , nearly , all of the
>     > boot failures are result of
>     > failure of this step .
>     >

>     >

>     The installer does check the exit status of these stamp commands to
>     ensure they finish properly.
>
>     We can easily test if boot0 is the problem though. If you do the
>     install
>     again, go to disk setup -> advanced and use the full disk, try
>     checking
>     "GPT" mode this time. It wont do the boot0 install, but instead
>     will do
>     a pmbr setup which may work better on your system.
>

>     --
>     Kris Moore
>     PC-BSD Software
>     iXsystems
>

> Exit status always may not show correct value . For that reason , copy
> operations , CD/DVD burning programs are VERIFYING written data by
> re-reading it . My suggestion was such a re-read to verify whether
> written values are correctly written or not .
>

> The installation performed with respect to the above steps :
> "Partition disk with GPT" has been checked .

Ok, that helps us determine that it works fine when you use GPT booting.
I don't think it has anything to do with writing boot to disk, if you
are having write failures to the boot sector, then you have bigger
problems hardware-wise. Sounds like its something to do with the MBR
layout instead.

Remember, this is an experimental Intel patch, you may want to report
this issue over to the freebsd-x11 list now. Sounds like the failure is
occurring that when X shuts down it hangs the box.