[PC-BSD Testing] PC-BSD snapshot with Xorg 7.5.2

Mehmet Erol Sanliturk m.e.sanliturk at gmail.com
Mon Feb 27 10:57:42 PST 2012

On Mon, Feb 27, 2012 at 1:01 PM, Kris Moore <kris at pcbsd.org> wrote:

> On 02/27/2012 12:57, Mehmet Erol Sanliturk wrote:
> >

> > After installation of PC-BSD 9.0 Snapshot 2012-02-25 amd64 DVD , it is
> > not booting :
> >
> > Displayed messages :
> >

> > Intel(R) Boot Agent ...

> > PXE-E61 : Media test failure , check cable
> > PXE-M0F : Exiting Intel Boot Agent
> >
> > No bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key
> >

> > Installation Steps :
> >

> > Language : English ---> Click Next
> > Desktop : KDE        ---> Click Next
> >
> > Disk Selection :
> > The disk will be setup with the following configuration :
> >
> > Partition : ada0(ALL)
> > File System : ZFS
> > Size : 238 465 MB
> > Mount : / , /swap
> (volsize=2G|org.freebsd:swap=on|checksum=off),/var,/usr.
> >             /usr/ports(compression=on),/usr/src(compression=on),/tmp
> >
> >           - ---> Click Next
> >
> > Start the installation now ?
> >
> >            --> Click YES
> >

> > i.e. , only the presented defaults ( also in all of the previous 9.0
> > related amd64 DVD distributions )
> > are selected .
> >

> > Main Board : Intel DG965WH
> > Processor   : Q6600
> > Memory      : 8 GB
> >

> > Thank you very much .
> >

> > Mehmet Erol Sanliturk
> >

> Thanks for the feedback! Can you re-test by clicking configure on the
> disk page and doing the following steps:
>
> Mode: Advanced
> Disk: ALL
> FileSystem: UFS
> Mounts: Default
>
> Then re-install, do you get the same error? If so that'll help me figure
> out which step is causing the failure, and ensure its not just zfsboot.
>

> --
> Kris Moore
> PC-BSD Software
> iXsystems

Actually answer to your query is in my previous sentences :

(1) No one of the 9.0 series ( alpha , beta , RC , Release , Snapshot ) is
booting after installation
     which some of them have default UFS file systems .

(2) Message from the BIOS :

> Intel(R) Boot Agent ...

> PXE-E61 : Media test failure , check cable
> PXE-M0F : Exiting Intel Boot Agent
>
> No bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key

This means that in the boot sector , there is NO any bootable code .
If there were any one , the message would be different ( one the messages
in boot code
of FreeBSD or , if they are modified , PC-BSD ) .

I have applied your suggestion for installation :

Disk configuration :

Mode : Advanced
Disk : All
File System : UFS
Mounts : Defaults

At the end , it is said that "remove media for reboot..."
After removing of media , the computer become frozen .
After a hard reset ,
the displayed message is the above one :

> Intel(R) Boot Agent ...

> PXE-E61 : Media test failure , check cable
> PXE-M0F : Exiting Intel Boot Agent
>
> No bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key

My opinion is that "Stamping boot0 on /dev/ada0 ..."
is NOT working .

I think , after writing that part , a check by reading it to verify
correctness of writing
( if it is possible ) may be useful , because , nearly , all of the boot
failures are result of
failure of this step .

Thank you very much .

Mehmet Erol Sanliturk