[PC-BSD Testing] Testing Bluetooth manager

Ken Moore ken at pcbsd.org
Mon Feb 27 10:22:30 PST 2012

Thanks for testing! I have a few comments/questions below -- right after
parts of your message.

On 02/25/2012 17:25, Hans Ruhe wrote:
> Hello Kris and all other testers,
>
> As I am new to testing I hope I did it right. I tested a Samsung
> Galaxy II and a Sitecom Bluetooth adapter usb 2.0  and it was visible
> in the tray manager. Sadly to say that although a pin was asked and I
> gave it, the message was refused by PCBSD-184 which is my pcbsd
> machine. It is asking for a key

--snip--

> Restarting hcsecd
> "Initiating Connection: 00:00:00:00:00:00"
> "Error: Page timeout - Check that device is in range and turned on"
> "Initiating Connection: 00:01:02:03:04:05"
> "Error: Page timeout - Check that device is in range and turned on"
> "Initiating Connection: 00:11:22:33:44:55"
> "Error: Page timeout - Check that device is in range and turned on"
> Finished restarting Bluetooth Services

End of the "Restart Bluetooth" routine. It looks like you only had the
default (example) entries in your list. These can be removed since they
are just the example devices that come in the default FreeBSD
hcsecd.conf (I plan on removing the default file on install with later
versions of PCBSD, once things have been tested more thoroughly first)

> Restarting hcsecd
> "Initiating Connection: 00:00:00:00:00:00"
> "Error: Page timeout - Check that device is in range and turned on"
> "Initiating Connection: 00:01:02:03:04:05"
> "Error: Page timeout - Check that device is in range and turned on"
> "Initiating Connection: 00:11:22:33:44:55"
> "Error: Page timeout - Check that device is in range and turned on"
> Finished restarting Bluetooth Services

Again, it looks like you restarted the bluetooth services, but it is
only looking for the example devices. It does not look like your device
was even saved into the configuration file yet.

> Attempted to refresh an unknown tab number: -1
> Attempted to refresh an unknown tab number: -1

I have noticed this a few times when changing between tabs rapidly - it
has no effect on the user, but I am still trying to narrow down how the
GUI loses the number of the current tab, which is why it is being
displayed right now for debugging purposes.

> "Bluetooth Connection: Error: #0x6 : Key missing"
> "Bluetooth Connection: Error: #0x6 : Key missing"
> "Bluetooth Connection: Error: #0x6 : Key missing"
> "Bluetooth Connection: Error: #0x6 : Key missing"
> "Bluetooth Connection: Error: #0x6 : Key missing"
> "Bluetooth Connection: Error: #0x6 : Key missing"

Was this when you tried to add your device to the configuration list? I
have never seen this error before, but it usually mean that the "Key"
entry needs to be a specific value (specific to the configuration on
your phone) rather than the "nokey" or empty string that you entered
when adding that entry to the computer configuration.

> This is the info from the Bluetoothmanager:
>
> BD_ADDR: 84:25:db:1c:8d:de
>
> Name: Galaxy
>
> Key: nokey
>
> PIN: 0000

Could you send me the exact entry for this device from
/etc/bluetooth/hcsecd.conf ?

> Which key is needed and where can I find it or generate one ?

This info is probably located somewhere on your device rather than the
computer. It will be different (if needed) for every device
configuration that you add. You could always try an internet search for
your device and see if a specific key if hard-coded into the hardware.

> If I did the posting incorrect or if you need the data in a different
> form or in a logfile please give me the feedback for that.
>

> Best Regards,
>
> Hans

Again, thanks for testing this out!

--