[PC-BSD Testing] iBus input method not working on PCBSD 9

Hakisho Nukama nukama at googlemail.com
Fri Feb 17 05:53:39 PST 2012

Seems that a Problem with iBus resurfaced in PCBSD 9.0

Trying to input Chinese characters with Pinyin input method
doesn't work on PCBSD 9.0 (updated from BETA days)
in LANG other than zh, ja,ko.
Tray-icon for iBus input method framework shows
"no input window" while hovering over icon,
while FORCEIBUS is set to YES..

Sometimes tray-icon is out of alignment on KDE.

After running terminal and setenv XMODIFIERS and starting
xterm I'm able to choose from installed input methods and
input works so far.

doesn't set following variables:

Must have been some problem with files in /usr/home/user.

After removing old user stuff and rsyncing stuff from a newly
created user in a new system installed with 9.0-RELEASE,
I was able to input via iBus input method.

But now Gimp is complaining about
/usr/local/lib/gtk-2.0/2.10.0/immodules/im-xim.so: Undefined symbol
(script-fu:5570): LibGimpBase-WARNING **: script-fu: gimp_wire_read(): error

Had to unset or set GTK_IM_MODULE to
"ibus" / "gtk-im-context-simple" for gimp to work in xfce.
But showing "no input window" for gimp.

Best Regards
Hakisho Nukama