[PC-BSD Testing] iBus input method not working on PCBSD 9

Hakisho Nukama nukama at googlemail.com
Fri Feb 17 05:53:39 PST 2012

Seems that a Problem with iBus resurfaced in PCBSD 9.0
http://lists.pcbsd.org/pipermail/testing/2010-May/004103.html

Trying to input Chinese characters with Pinyin input method
doesn't work on PCBSD 9.0 (updated from BETA days)
in LANG other than zh, ja,ko.
Tray-icon for iBus input method framework shows
"no input window" while hovering over icon,
while FORCEIBUS is set to YES..

Sometimes tray-icon is out of alignment on KDE.

After running terminal and setenv XMODIFIERS and starting
xterm I'm able to choose from installed input methods and
input works so far.

/usr/local/share/pcbsd/xstartup/enable-ibus.sh
doesn't set following variables:

GTK_IM_MODULE ibus
QT_IM_MODULE ibus
XMODIFIERS @ibus
GDK_NATIVE_WINDOWS true

Must have been some problem with files in /usr/home/user.

After removing old user stuff and rsyncing stuff from a newly
created user in a new system installed with 9.0-RELEASE,
I was able to input via iBus input method.

But now Gimp is complaining about
/usr/local/lib/gtk-2.0/2.10.0/immodules/im-xim.so: Undefined symbol
"gdk_window_get_screen"
(script-fu:5570): LibGimpBase-WARNING **: script-fu: gimp_wire_read(): error

Had to unset or set GTK_IM_MODULE to
"ibus" / "gtk-im-context-simple" for gimp to work in xfce.
But showing "no input window" for gimp.

Best Regards
Hakisho Nukama