[PC-BSD Testing] Desktop system won't wake up from sleep mode

Jeff dejamuse at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 13 10:18:40 PST 2012

I have PCBSD 9 (64 bit) on a home built Asus  P6T board and a Radeon HD 4850 video card, and a generic Samsung digital monitor (2043 SWX Plus).

When trying to wake it up from sleep mode, it appears as if the computer wakes up, but the monitor won't.  Note that the monitor was not identified during installation of the OS.

I tried different video drivers, but still no workee.

Even tried disabling powerd on someone's advice.  No affect.

Any suggestions how to get sleep to work?  Hibernation doesn't work either.

FreeBSD has an extensive section in the handbook detailing the debug process for ACPI issues, but it looks daunting so I thought I'd ask here first.

BTW, what value does powerd have on a desktop system?  Is it there just to spin down disks not being used?  Seems from rc.conf that it's manipulating CPU speed:

# powerd: adaptive speed while on AC power, adaptive while on battery power
powerd_enable="YES"
powerd_flags="-a hiadaptive -b adaptive" # set CPU frequency

If it doesn't spin the disk down, does some other part of PCBSD do that?  I have a backup disk that I rarely access and would prefer that it spin down when not being used.  I haven't looked in the BIOS to see if it can be set there, as yet.

Thanks,

Jeff