[PC-BSD Testing] PCBSD9.1-x86-USBFULL.img.bz2 not bootable (after bunzip2'ing)

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.org
Thu Dec 27 15:01:52 PST 2012

On 12/27/2012 05:31, Productnews wrote:

> Am 26.12.2012 19:36, schrieb Kris Moore:
>> On 12/26/2012 13:08, Productnews wrote:
>>> After the disastrous update exercise (9.1-RC3 to 9.1, see my earlier
>>> mails) I downloaded (10 hours over cable modem) and verified  (md5)
>>> PCBSD9.1-x86-USBFULL.img.bz2 before unbunzing and copying to an 8 GB USB
>>> stick.
>>> I found that there is *NO BOOTBLOCK* on the image (first 8kB is zero).
>>> The image is not bootable by any stretch of the imagination.
>>>
>>> I am sorry to say that this release has apparently not undergone any QA
>>> before publication. I cannot continue testing PCBSD under these
>>> circumstances.
>>>
>>> Sorry for that
>>>
>>> Harald
>> Thanks for the heads up! I've found the problem are are re-rolling the
>> x86 images. The x64 one should be fine, it was something in particular
>> related to the 32bit builds failing to stamp the boot-blocks.
>>
> Is there a way to "upgrade" my downloaded file once the corrected
> versions are available? I cannot download large files for the next 3
> weeks or so (only satellite link with quota!). What abut copying the
> first 8k or so?
>
> Harald

Harald,

If you have another FreeBSD system, it should be possible to "stamp" the
boot-sector on the USB media.

Use this command:

# gpart bootcode -b /boot/boot /dev/da0

BTW, a new image is going to the mirrors now with this fix, and should
be online in 24 hours or so. I'll make double-sure we test these in the
future. Most of our testing is done with the 64bit stuff now, and these
built successfully, but the boot-stamping had silently failed :(