[PC-BSD Testing] What do you recommend for the newbies; What book to study etc

Dale Scott dale at dalescott.net
Fri Aug 31 21:20:04 PDT 2012

I bought the PC-BSD Users Handbook by Drew Lavigne, mostly for GUI-level
coverage of KDE (I'm more familiar with GNOME, but I don't think it's a sure
thing for v3 to ever be available for FBSD), and jails, and it was worth it.
If you want more depth though, you'll have to go to the PC-BSD on-line docs,
then the FreeBSD books (and the on-line FBSD handbook).

FreeBSD books in my library:

.          "Absolute FreeBSD" by Lucas (~ fbsd-7), my first general go-to

.         "FreeBSD Unleashed" (it's early bsd-6, and I found it cheap on
Amazon) To me, it has a more hard-core sysadmin feel than Lucas does (I find
Lucas more readable) with different material, and

.         "Building a Server with FreeBSD 7" by Hong. It's a recipe book and
helped me though my first system, and is still my go-to for quickly
following a restore-from-dump procedure, and looking up where the config
files are an application.

If I was a newb looking for something to dig into, I'd think about
high-level cloud and networking, and how to migrate a local system (web
application or group of applications, possibly in a jail, or some sort of
pc-bsd or freesbd "instance"), to a cloud service (perhaps a FreeBSD machine
in the Goggle cloud), as much as possible through a GUI (for a basic
tutorial, but with application to a production-oriented process).

Dale