[PC-BSD Testing] 9.1 RC1 kernel crashes with Intel graphics and other issues

Damjan Jovanovic damjan.jov at gmail.com
Tue Aug 28 09:04:16 PDT 2012

Hi

I have a desktop PC with an "Intel(R) Core(TM) i3 CPU 530 @ 2.93GHz"
and the corresponding integrated Intel Ironlake/Clarkdale HD Graphics.
After installing the PCBSD USBLITE 9.1 RC1 64 bit version, when it
asked me to click Finish to reboot, and I clicked it, it crashed
(screen went into "power saving mode", num lock and caps lock wouldn't
respond). When I rebooted it with the power button, it then started
up, and went through the graphics card and user setup screens, after
which it asked me to click something to log in, and then crashed again
in exactly the same way. Rebooting with the power button then skipped
the graphics card screen but went through the user setup screen again,
and that time it worked.

I've also noticed that you have at least 2 broken menu shortcuts, one
is Games -> AMOR with the .desktop file being
/usr/local/share/applications/kde4/amor.desktop, and the other
shortcut in /usr/local/share/applications/kde4/kcmgtk4.desktop also
doesn't work.

It also strikes me as odd that USBLITE doesn't come with a web browser?

Resuming from suspend also leads to a crash. Booting X in VESA mode
however resumes from suspend just fine.

Otherwise thank you for the phenomenal improvements in PCBSD 9.1, it's
beautiful, the installation is so much user friendlier, it installs
much faster, that new hardware support screen is genius, and it at
least supports my graphics card somewhat.

Regards
Damjan