[PC-BSD Testing] Mangled entry error after force shutdown from desktop hang

claive alvin Acedilla cabpacedilla at gmail.com
Mon Apr 30 12:45:37 PDT 2012

I think I have already reproduced this three times but I do not know if my
steps are reproducible.
I reproduce this when I installed and uninstalled XFCE from system
packages, log out, then login to LXDE.  Then logout LXDE, I noticed that I
cannot logout to gdm because there is bug that you cannot logout to gdm
when you removed XFCE from system packages. So what I did was force
shutdown.

Then after booted again I got like this error: "panic: ufs_dirbad:
/backuphd: bad dir ino 22259126 at offset 0: mangled entry"
PCBSD will not boot even it restarted by itself.

I also reproduced this when PCBSD desktop was hanging for I dont know the
reason and anything is not responding, so what I did was force shutdown the
power button and I get again the mangled entry error on the next boot.

It seems that when the whole PCBSD desktop is hanging or "locked state" and
do a force shutdown will mangle the filesystem.