[PC-BSD Testing] Sound on and off randomly and inconsistently

Sam Lin semin2006 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 28 21:54:09 PDT 2012

Hi Ian,

Thank you for your input.

I do have looked at those forums before, but I don't think it's these
settings that are causing the problems because if the settings are
incorrect there should be no sound at all all the time but not something
like my situation in which sometimes make sound and some other times no
sound.

For your information below are the configurations (/dev/sndstat and
/etc/sysctl.conf) in my system (also attached in this email along with my
/dev.pcm should you are interested):

========== /dev/sndstat ==========

FreeBSD Audio Driver (newpcm: 64bit 2009061500/amd64)
Installed devices:
pcm0: <HDA NVidia (Unknown) PCM #0 DisplayPort> (play)
pcm1: <HDA NVidia (Unknown) PCM #0 DisplayPort> (play)
pcm2: <HDA NVidia (Unknown) PCM #0 DisplayPort> (play)
pcm3: <HDA NVidia (Unknown) PCM #0 DisplayPort> (play)
pcm4: <CMedia CMI8738> (play/rec) default

==================================

========== /etc/sysctl.conf ==============

# $FreeBSD: src/etc/sysctl.conf,v 1.8 2003/03/13 18:43:50 mux Exp $
#
# This file is read when going to multi-user and its contents piped thru
# ``sysctl'' to adjust kernel values. ``man 5 sysctl.conf'' for details.
#

# Uncomment this to prevent users from seeing information about processes
that
# are being run under another UID.
#security.bsd.see_other_uids=0

# Disable coredump
kern.coredump=0

# Up the maxfiles to 4x default
kern.maxfiles=49312

# Allow users to mount CD's
vfs.usermount=1

# Enable more sound channels
dev.pcm.0.play.vchans=4
dev.pcm.0.rec.vchans=4

# Autodetect the most recent sound card. Uncomment for Digital output / USB
#hw.snd.default_auto=1
hw.snd.default_unit=4

# Allow pinging in jails
security.jail.allow_raw_sockets=1

# Required for postgres
security.jail.sysvipc_allowed=1

# Required for smb
security.jail.mount_allowed=1

# Solves permission problems for some ports
security.jail.chflags_allowed=1

# Disable the system speaker
#hw.syscons.bell=0
hw.syscons.bell=1

# Tune for desktop usage
kern.sched.preempt_thresh=224

# Enable for proper lagg failover
#net.link.lagg.failover_rx_all=1

# Enable shm_allow_removed
kern.ipc.shm_allow_removed=1

I am not sure if it's rational but could it be simply because the speaker
built in my monitor is not working properly e.g. need some time to "warm
up" before it makes sound? As for the last few days I noted that when I
first start the machine there is no sound, and then I just leave it alone
and away to take shower and then when I come back and try any youtube it
now makes sound. Also another thing I noted is that when I first start the
machine (and no sound of course) and then switch the monitor to TV mode to
watch TV (the monitor is Asus MT276 and it's got YPbPr cables connected for
satellite TV) for awhile, and then switch back to PCBSD mode (on HDMI
cable) and then now the sound works.

Perhaps I should get a cheapy speaker an try it out?

Regards,
Sam