Ian Robinson fitchkendall at gmail.com
Sat Apr 21 06:13:11 PDT 2012

On Fri, Apr 20, 2012 at 7:17 PM,

>   1. Sound on and off randomly and inconsistently (Sam Lin)
> The audio did not work with this machine as this motherboard has an onboard
> audio from Realtek ALC887 which, in accordance with FreeBSD 9.0-RELEASE
> Hardware Notes (http://www.freebsd.org/releases/9.0R/hardware.html#SOUND),.
> .  . So I just got another pci audio
> card with CMI8738-SX chipset from an online shop. . . .
> However I noted that for unknown reason the audio is not always working.
> . . .
> nvidia0: <GeForce GT 440> on vgapci0
> . . .
> hdac0: HDA Codec #0: NVidia (Unknown)
> hdac0: HDA Codec #1: NVidia (Unknown)
> hdac0: HDA Codec #2: NVidia (Unknown)
> hdac0: HDA Codec #3: NVidia (Unknown)
> pcm0: <HDA NVidia (Unknown) PCM #0 DisplayPort> at cad 0 nid 1 on hdac0
> pcm1: <HDA NVidia (Unknown) PCM #0 DisplayPort> at cad 1 nid 1 on hdac0
> pcm2: <HDA NVidia (Unknown) PCM #0 DisplayPort> at cad 2 nid 1 on hdac0
> pcm3: <HDA NVidia (Unknown) PCM #0 DisplayPort> at cad 3 nid 1 on hdac0
> . . .
> pcm4: <CMedia CMI8738> port 0xc000-0xc0ff irq 20 at device 5.0 on pci4
>
> . . .

> ------------------pciconf-----------------------------
>
> . . .
> hdac0 at pci0:1:0:1:       class=0x040300 card=0x83b01043 chip=0x0bea10de
> rev=0xa1 hdr=0x00
>    vendor     = 'nVidia Corporation'
>    device     = 'GF108 High Definition Audio Controller'
>    class      = multimedia
>    subclass   = HDA
> . . .
> pcm4 at pci0:4:5:0:        class=0x040100 card=0x011113f6 chip=0x011113f6
> rev=0x10 hdr=0x00
>    vendor     = 'C-Media Electronics Inc'
>    device     = 'CM8738'
>    class      = multimedia
>    subclass   = audio

Dear Sam,

It's great to have you back.  You do not need to buy another sound card.
You already have enough of them that will work.  Your nVidia GT440 card has
four high definition audio controllers on hdac0 using pcm0, pcm1, pcm2,
pcm3.  Your C-Media card is using pcm4.  It is likely that your software is
not always selecting the correct pcm device.

You can list pcm devices from a root terminal with # cat /dev/sndstat

You can list more specs about the pcm devices with # sysctl dev.pcm

Check what sound card is selected by your system by looking in
/etc/sysctl.conf and find the line with hw.snd.default_unit=x, where "x" is
a number from 0 to 4 corresponding with which pcm device is being used.
Change the unit # to set which pcm device you want to use as the default.

It is also possible that the volume settings for the playback may not be
set high enough.

See:

See also the PCBSD Multimedia Wiki at:

http://wiki.pcbsd.org/index.php/Multimedia