[PC-BSD Testing] Firefox ESR

Arthur Koziol A-Koziol at neiu.edu
Mon Apr 9 07:05:50 PDT 2012

On 04/07/2012 12:23 PM, Koop Mast wrote:
> On 6-4-2012 6:35, Jeff wrote:
>
>> I noticed that the latest version of Firefox from the apps cafe is
>> labeled Firefox ESR (10.0.03).  According to Mozilla, the next
>> iteration for ESR will be based on Firefox 17.
>>
>> It's not really clear how closely the ESR versions will track
>> improvements in the regular version, but obviously there will be some
>> delay.
>>

>    From what I heard from our mozilla people is that there will be a
> mozilla-ESR port which will track the 10.x version. And the normal
> mozilla port will be updated to 11.x and beyond. This should happen
> after the 8.3 Release cycle is completed.
>
> -Koop

Well, I'm not sure about 10.x working off Firefox 17. Firefox 12 will be
the last version to support ancient (legacy) versions of Windows and as
of version 13 onward, if a person isn't running at least XP SP1, it will
not work (I know this is not FreeBSD related but bear with me). The
Mozilla Devs are switching to current compilers and dropping tons of
legacy code from version 13 onward to make Firefox faster and drop
legacy cruft. So what is happening with 10.x series is it will take on
extended support that is being EOL'ed from the 3.6.x series. Somewhere
in the newer meeting notes it's mentioned but you might have to go back
a few months for more details. Read the notes here:
http://blog.mozilla.com/meeting-notes/. I am not sure how this will
affect the *BSDs but I would think the 13.x series of Firefox will play
more nicely and be more robust.

Arthur