[PC-BSD Testing] Minor issues installing and using PC-BSD

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.org
Wed Sep 28 11:59:20 PDT 2011

On 09/27/11 13:17, Eitan Adler wrote:
> I installed PC-BSD on my VirtualBox today. There are a few minor
> issues that I had which can improve the experience if fixed.
>
> 1) Both the fetch stage (when doing a network install) and the install
> stage have a period where they are stuck at 100% but the next button
> is not ungreyed. IMHO the installer should not say  "100%" until it is
> completely finished.
Just added an extra step so that it stays at 99% before saying its
finished.

> 2) Originally my disk was only 1GB and PC-BSD warned me that my disk
> my not be large enough. I increased it to 6GB. PC-BSD allowed me to
> install without a warning but stopped in the middle of install.
> Because I was in a virtual machine I was unable to send a ctrl-alt-f1
> combination to PC-BSD. I did see "out of inode" errors when I shut
> down the box though. If the install fails it would be nice to see the
> cause of the error instead of watching the bar get stuck at 6%.
I'll be adding support for better disk space detection soon :)

> 3) AppCafe does not display images for the majority of programs and
> categories available. Screenshot here:
> http://people.freebsd.org/~eadler/files/pcbsd/no-pic-in-app-cafe.png
Sometimes it takes a while to download all the meta-information for
Appcafe. If you ran it again later were all the icons there?

> 4) AppCafe does not download or install in parallel (from what I could
> tell) which means if I want to install large number of programs I need
> to wait for program A to download and install before the next one
> begins. This is annoying, especially on a slow network.
Right now it only downloads / installs a single PBI at a time, but that
will be on my list to do downloads in parallel for 9.1.