[PC-BSD Testing] Some potentially troubling news for future PCs from OEMs

Arthur Koziol A-Koziol at neiu.edu
Tue Sep 27 10:35:11 PDT 2011

On 09/27/2011 11:24 AM, Ian McNulty wrote:
> That is pretty scary. Is there any way that we can highlight the issue
> and bring some pressure to bear?
>
> Ian
>
> On 27/09/11 14:54, Arthur Koziol wrote:
>> Did you all catch the big hullabaloo about the future of UEFI and the
>> whole Secure Boot initiative? If this pans out, it will render many
>> *nixes uninstallable on Secure Boot configged machines? I don't want
>> to go shouting conspiracy theory or anything but it would sure be a
>> great way to kill Linux / *BSD on any future new hardware.
>>
>> Have a read here:
>> http://www.osnews.com/story/25180/Windows_8_Requires_Secure_Boot_May_Hinder_Other_Software
>> Arthur

I would think that writing to the OEMs and some trade groups, maybe
whomever defined UEFI and tell them the negative implications of this
for the *nix crowd? If I see any petitions I will pass the info along.
I'm not sure with whom I would begin to petition anyhow. Surely they
realize the impact of this on the *nix crowd and have some kind of
alternative in mind. If not, we'd be hosed.

Arthur