[PC-BSD Testing] KDE problem solved - Re: Cannot login after upgrade to PC-BSD 9.0-BETA2

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.org
Tue Sep 27 10:20:51 PDT 2011

On 09/27/11 06:17, Productnews wrote:
> 1. The problem with KDE has been solved: I disable the AIGLX option
>
> in /etc/X11/xorg.conf
>
> option     "AIGLX"  "false"
>
> KDE now works, and so does GNOME.

Sounds like something with acceleration was causing them to fail...

> 2. Fluxbox still crashes with this info in ~/.xession-errors
>
> /usr/local/etc/gdm/Xsession: Beginning session setup...
> To see how much disk space is left on your partitions, use
>
>     df -h
>         -- Dru <genesis at istar.ca>
> Setting the mixer ogain from 100:100 to 100:100.
> /usr/local/etc/gdm/Xsession: Setup done, will execute:
> /usr/bin/ssh-agent -- startfluxbox
> Locale: "de"
> Starting Tray Application
> pc-systemupdatertray: Fatal IO error: client killed
> [idesk] Background's file not found.
> [idesk] Background's source not found.
> XIO:  fatal IO error 22 (Invalid argument) on X server ":0.0"
>       after 14 requests (14 known processed) with 0 events remaining.
> Locale: "de"
> Application starting...
>
> ... and then the login screen reappears. Seems that idesk has some
> problems.

That's what it looks like. You may need to copy over the .fluxbox and
.idesk directories from /usr/share/skel to your homedir and try again.

> 3. The upgraded Thunderbird 6.0.2 still does not save the account
> settings and thus remains unusable.

I'm not seeing those issues here... Is anything different about your
homedir that I can test with here?

> 4. I still cannot use the beautiful TERMINAL font in any of the usual
> consoles, like KDE konsole 2.4.6, gnome-terminal 2.32.1, Xfce Terminal
> 0.4.8, but I can configure it for xterm with
>
> xterm -fn -bitstream-terminal-medium-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-iso8859-*
>
> On PCBSD Hubble and FreeBSD 8.2 the TERMINAL font works both for
> konsole and gnome-terminal - is this because I have locally upgraded
> these systems and recompiled everything in the ports tree??

Is it that the terminal font just isn't showing up in their list of
available fonts? If that's the case it may be that we just need to add
another package to the base system which includes the terminal font you
want.

> 5. The KDE menu buttons for system reboot and shutdown looked much
> smarter in Hubble than they do now (now it's the standard KDE
> buttons). In fact it was the smart buttons that attracted my attention
> to PCBSD some years ago. I wish they came back to Isotope...
>
> thanks, Harald

I'll take a look at that and see if we can throw those back in :)