[PC-BSD Testing] Minor issues installing and using PC-BSD

Eitan Adler lists at eitanadler.com
Tue Sep 27 10:17:41 PDT 2011

I installed PC-BSD on my VirtualBox today. There are a few minor
issues that I had which can improve the experience if fixed.

1) Both the fetch stage (when doing a network install) and the install
stage have a period where they are stuck at 100% but the next button
is not ungreyed. IMHO the installer should not say  "100%" until it is
completely finished.
2) Originally my disk was only 1GB and PC-BSD warned me that my disk
my not be large enough. I increased it to 6GB. PC-BSD allowed me to
install without a warning but stopped in the middle of install.
Because I was in a virtual machine I was unable to send a ctrl-alt-f1
combination to PC-BSD. I did see "out of inode" errors when I shut
down the box though. If the install fails it would be nice to see the
cause of the error instead of watching the bar get stuck at 6%.
3) AppCafe does not display images for the majority of programs and
categories available. Screenshot here:
http://people.freebsd.org/~eadler/files/pcbsd/no-pic-in-app-cafe.png
4) AppCafe does not download or install in parallel (from what I could
tell) which means if I want to install large number of programs I need
to wait for program A to download and install before the next one
begins. This is annoying, especially on a slow network.

Overall this is an awesome desktop experience! I may install it on my
laptop for real.

--
Eitan Adler