[PC-BSD Testing] Translated strings not shown in 9.0 BETA2 installer (Chinese_Taiwan and Japanese)

Sam Lin semin2006 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 25 03:30:13 PDT 2011

Long time Kris and PCBSDers.

Just noticed that regardless of both Chinese_Taiwan and Japanese having
their SysInstaller.po beem fully translated on pootle, in the actual
installer some strings and even in tabs or in buttons are left blank. Please
see attached snapshots for example - the blank areas have been circled in
red.

I am suspecting that this has to do with the id for some messages on pootle
being overlapping (see attached pootle-tw.jpg). In the attached
pootle-tw.jpg you shall notice that first #5 is "Select installation type"
and then followed by another #5 which appear to be some description. Then #6
"System" and then another #6 with another description. I am guessing that
the first message for an id takes effect on the sysinstaller and then the
second message for that id cannot be used or alternatively is ignored by the
installer. Strangely this "overlapping numbering system" on pootle is
limited to some languages and in other languages the numbers on pootle do
not overlap (e.g. #6 "Select installation type" then #7 description then #8
"System" and then #9 another description, and so on) .

Just let me know if the snapshots cannot be uploaded via the mailing list or
you cannot see the snapshots.

Cheers,
Sam