[PC-BSD Testing] Recreated crash OpenGL Info screen on "working"9.0 x86 Beta 2.0, WAS: Re: instant unexpected logout..

Arthur Koziol A-Koziol at neiu.edu
Fri Sep 23 08:32:04 PDT 2011

On 09/21/2011 9:32 AM, Arthur Koziol wrote:
> On 09/20/2011 1:39 PM, Ken Moore wrote:

>>> Julian,
>>>
>>> What VGA adapter do you have? Also, if this is integrated, do you have
>>> the latest BIOS for your motherboard as sometimes HW makers (like
>>> Dell) update the VGA hardware BIOS as part of the motherboard BIOS
>>> update.
>>>
>>> Arthur

>> If you could, run the following command and see if it works.
>>

>>> glxgears
>>>

>> It is just a quick test of the 3D acceleration for the video card. The
>> reason is that I have noticed that NVIDIA Settings ->   OpenGL/GLX
>> information tab crashes if the 3D acceleration is not working. This
>> might be part of the issue, because if you upgraded from Beta1.5 to
>> Beta2 (as opposed to a fresh install of Beta2) we have noticed that
>> there is a problem with the nvidia driver enabling 3D acceleration (this
>> has already been fixed for the next release BTW).
>> If this is the case, you might want to switch to the "nv" driver instead
>> of the "nvidia" driver. It doesn't run nearly as fast and there are
>> occasional graphical issues, but at least the 3D acceleration works and
>> prevents crashes like this.
>>
>> Also, restoring from sleep/suspend is new for FreeBSD 9.0 so there might
>> still be some bugs in it, but I think that is unrelated to the first
>> issue here.
>>

> Ok, I have figured out the problem on my end with this issue. When I
> have a screen saver set (in my case, OpenGL>  Solar Winds) and it runs
> and then the monitor goes to sleep, after it wakes, it must crash and
> kick the user out to the login screen. Last night I turned off the
> screen saver and just let the PC sit at desktop. I came in this morning
> and woke it via mouse and it was still at desktop. Now I am going to try
> the same being on the "OpenGL Information" screen to see what happens.
>
> Incidentally, Julian has an ATI card, not NVidia.

Well, my experiment has proven that it must be related to OpenGL / Mesa
or *maybe* the Intel driver. I left the machine running overnight on the
OpenGL Information screen with no screen set active. Came in morning and
shook the mouse to wake the monitor and it was still at the OpenGL
Information screen. I am satisfied with my conclusions.

Arthur