[PC-BSD Testing] 9.0 BETA installation: tunefs fails creating /mnt/data

Jeff Penn jeff at jrpenn.demon.co.uk
Wed Sep 21 11:50:12 PDT 2011

On Tue, Sep 20, 2011 at 02:51:47PM -0400, Kris Moore wrote:
> On 09/20/11 14:42, Jeff Penn wrote:
> > I normally set up a data partition on /mnt/data when I install systems.
> > This fails on pcbsd, and I suspect it's because the installer attempts
> > to label a partition 'mnt/data'.
> >
> > The advise in the pcbsd manual is to mount partitions directly on /.
> > Is this a known limitation of the installer? (I didn't try setting
> > up a mount /mnt/data partition on BETA2).
>
> Can you send over the specific error from the installer? Or your config
> file? Ideally it should let you create a partition like that.

I could't reproduce this on BETA2, it used to fail around here:

Running: tunefs -j enable /dev/ada0p7
tunefs: soft updates journaling set
Using inode 4 in cg 0 for 33554432 byte journal
Running: sync
Running: glabel label mntdata0 /dev/ada0p7

> > I also noticed that my system causes an interrupt storm on irq 17, but
> > only when running the installer.  Messages reporting the error are
> > output to the console constantly.  The issue does not show up running
> > the installed system.  I have seen interrupt storms before on the same
> > hardware on earlier versions of freebsd.  Is this of any interest to
> > you?.
> That probably needs to be reported upstream to the FreeBSD guys :)

I also couldn't reproduce this issue.  I've installed freebsd & pcbsd
BETA2 on this system.  This box has been experiencing hardware issues
recently (the OS & BIOS stop seeing the disk drive).

Jeff