[PC-BSD Testing] Recreated crash OpenGL Info screen on "working"9.0 x86 Beta 2.0, WAS: Re: instant unexpected logout..

Arthur Koziol A-Koziol at neiu.edu
Wed Sep 21 07:32:24 PDT 2011

On 09/20/2011 1:39 PM, Ken Moore wrote:
> On 09/20/11 14:20, Arthur Koziol wrote:

>>> no idea but for me it's *Instant*..  as soon as I click on it I get
>>> logged out.
>>>

>> Julian,
>>
>> What VGA adapter do you have? Also, if this is integrated, do you have
>> the latest BIOS for your motherboard as sometimes HW makers (like
>> Dell) update the VGA hardware BIOS as part of the motherboard BIOS
>> update.
>>
>> Arthur

> If you could, run the following command and see if it works.
>
>> glxgears
>>
> It is just a quick test of the 3D acceleration for the video card. The
> reason is that I have noticed that NVIDIA Settings ->  OpenGL/GLX
> information tab crashes if the 3D acceleration is not working. This
> might be part of the issue, because if you upgraded from Beta1.5 to
> Beta2 (as opposed to a fresh install of Beta2) we have noticed that
> there is a problem with the nvidia driver enabling 3D acceleration (this
> has already been fixed for the next release BTW).
> If this is the case, you might want to switch to the "nv" driver instead
> of the "nvidia" driver. It doesn't run nearly as fast and there are
> occasional graphical issues, but at least the 3D acceleration works and
> prevents crashes like this.
>
> Also, restoring from sleep/suspend is new for FreeBSD 9.0 so there might
> still be some bugs in it, but I think that is unrelated to the first
> issue here.

Ok, I have figured out the problem on my end with this issue. When I
have a screen saver set (in my case, OpenGL > Solar Winds) and it runs
and then the monitor goes to sleep, after it wakes, it must crash and
kick the user out to the login screen. Last night I turned off the
screen saver and just let the PC sit at desktop. I came in this morning
and woke it via mouse and it was still at desktop. Now I am going to try
the same being on the "OpenGL Information" screen to see what happens.

Incidentally, Julian has an ATI card, not NVidia.

Arthur