[PC-BSD Testing] Recreated crash OpenGL Info screen on "working"9.0 x86 Beta 2.0, WAS: Re: instant unexpected logout..

Ken Moore ken at pcbsd.org
Tue Sep 20 11:39:58 PDT 2011

On 09/20/11 14:20, Arthur Koziol wrote:
> On 09/20/2011 1:18 PM, Julian Elischer wrote:

>>> Well, after my last message I again left the screen sitting at OpenGL
>>> Information and this time around when I moved the mouse, the monitor
>>> did wake from sleep but I was back at the login screen. So some time
>>> between the monitor going to sleep and just a few moments ago it took
>>> a dive. There's got to be a log or crash info for this event. Anyone
>>> able to point me to where it would be so I can up the info?
>>>
>> no idea but for me it's *Instant*..  as soon as I click on it I get
>> logged out.
>>
> Julian,
>
> What VGA adapter do you have? Also, if this is integrated, do you have
> the latest BIOS for your motherboard as sometimes HW makers (like
> Dell) update the VGA hardware BIOS as part of the motherboard BIOS
> update.
>
> Arthur

If you could, run the following command and see if it works.
> glxgears

It is just a quick test of the 3D acceleration for the video card. The
reason is that I have noticed that NVIDIA Settings -> OpenGL/GLX
information tab crashes if the 3D acceleration is not working. This
might be part of the issue, because if you upgraded from Beta1.5 to
Beta2 (as opposed to a fresh install of Beta2) we have noticed that
there is a problem with the nvidia driver enabling 3D acceleration (this
has already been fixed for the next release BTW).
If this is the case, you might want to switch to the "nv" driver instead
of the "nvidia" driver. It doesn't run nearly as fast and there are
occasional graphical issues, but at least the 3D acceleration works and
prevents crashes like this.

Also, restoring from sleep/suspend is new for FreeBSD 9.0 so there might
still be some bugs in it, but I think that is unrelated to the first
issue here.

--
~~ Ken Moore ~~
PC-BSD/iXsystems