[PC-BSD Testing] What I noticed

jmdennis @dslextreme.com jmdennis at dslextreme.com
Fri Sep 16 19:59:13 PDT 2011

For the last beta I did not have to enter in vesa in the main menu as
it started up fine.  For beta 2 I had to do the vesa just to have it
not lock up hard when starting up.  Once installed and restarted I had
to select vesa again.  I wish that ATI would be added to the hardware
section so those that have ATI graphics cards do not have to select
vesa just to get to the desktop.  I noticed that in XFCE that in the
appcafe that their are no icons again.  If I search for firefox it
does show firefox and it is still at version 4.01 when FreeBSD has
this up to version 6.02 so I installed it this way so I could get the
latest version.  The only problem I had was when I went to shutdown
the first time.  It just seems to stay at the desktop and did not
shutdown.  I finally did the ctrl alt f2 and signed in as root and did
a shutdown -h now which of course when shutdown told me to hit the
enter key I believe to restart which I did not want to do.  I shut it
down using the button and ever since then it has shutdown normally.
The only other thing is that it shows fluxbox as an option to start
even though I did not select this when doing the install so it should
not give me this option.  It does seem stable and I do like it.