[PC-BSD Testing] no boot loader?

Ken Moore ken at pcbsd.org
Fri Sep 16 13:41:03 PDT 2011

On 09/15/11 17:10, Brodey Dover wrote:
> On 9/15/2011 9:59 AM, Kris wrote:
>> You can manually stamp the bsd bootloader if you like, just not via
>> the gui.  Right click the background and bring up xterm to runany
>> comand you like.
>> "Tigersharke ." <tigersharke at gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> On Wed, Sep 14, 2011 at 11:08 AM, Ken Moore <ken at pcbsd.org
>> <mailto:ken at pcbsd.org>> wrote:
>>
>>     On 09/13/11 17:14, Sha'ul wrote:
>>
>>         Was selecting the boot loader for installation taken out for
>>         installing along side other OSes? I want to use the boot
>>         loader because I also have OpenBSD installed. Is it only full
>>         disk installations now?
>>
>>     The option for installing the PCBSD bootloader was removed from
>>     9.0 because it interfered with currently installed boot loaders
>>     (such as EasyBCD, GAG, and the windows bootloader) and required
>>     some additional "magic" to reset your bootloaders after
>>     installing PCBSD. However, this does -NOT- mean that PCBSD is
>>     only for full-disk installations, you can still dual (or more)
>>     boot with PCBSD by installing into a specific primary partition.
>>     You will simply need to modify your existing boot loader to
>>     include PCBSD afterwords.
>>
>>     If you do not have a bootloader (or simply want to use a
>>     different one), I recommend GAG because it is simple and easy to
>>     use, but there are many others that also work without any problems.
>>

>> I would like to know whether it is possible to use the FreeBSD
>> bootloader, if I installed it as my personal choice of a bootloader.
>> I might also need to know how, at least in general terms.
>>
>> In addition to that, I would like to know how/why/where the FreeBSD
>> bootloader that was installed with v8.2 which remained after an
>> install of v9.0beta1.0 on a second partition, disappeared after
>> installing v9.0beta2.0 on the first partition while the second
>> partition was a fresh install of v8.2? And when I say 'partition' I
>> mean in the sense of it being created outside of BSD and would be
>> recognized by Windows.
>>
>> I can certainly explain better if necessary, since I tend to be terse.
>>
>> Thanks!

> Speaking of dual boot. If anyone gets this working let me know. I
> still only see one FULL partition in any order of
> partitioning/installing (Win7 first = PC-BSD sees one unused partition
> OR PC-BSD first and Win7 can't install on my hard drive as it is
> greyed out).
>
> Thanks,
> Brodey Dover

I dual boot with windows 7 on both my desktop and my laptop. I have
found it best to install win7 first, then use win7 or some other
partition manager to shrink the partitions and create a new primary
partition. PCBSD can then be installed onto the new primary partition
without any issues. After that you just need to install and setup a boot
loader so that both are seen.
There is a nice section of the PCBSD handbook that covers using Win7 or
some other programs to repartition your drive: Section 2.5. The other
thing to remember is that PCBSD needs a --primary-- partition to install
to, not a logical partition.

I hope this helps!

--
~~ Ken Moore ~~