[PC-BSD Testing] 9.0 b2, KDE (flash), GNOME (shortcuts)

Ken Moore ken at pcbsd.org
Thu Sep 15 09:12:03 PDT 2011

On 09/14/11 14:14, Serghey Suvorov wrote:
> Hi Ken,
>
> 1) I installed Firefox, Kile, wxMaxima, OpenOffice-RU and 5th else
> (forgot).

I just checked all of these PBI's and they properly placed the desktop
and menu shortcuts when installed via the AppCafe. I did discover that
the openoffice shortcuts were not working, and I have fixed them in svn.
If you use the pbi_add command from a terminal to install a PBI, it does
not place the desktop and menu shortcuts by default, you have to add
them via the AppCafe afterwords.

> 2) At my experiments the icons were restored, but without miniatures,
> and with the same messages you wrote.
> There were not insuperable difficulties: I wanted to see KDE quickly.

The messages were because of a special feature for GNOME to recognize
"Trusted" desktop shortcuts, and pressing the  "Mark as trusted" option
returns the desktop shortcut back to its original appearance and
functionality. I have discovered that each DE has its own little quirks
that you just need to get used to (such as this one). That is why I am
so pleased to be able to let the user select the DE of their choice now,
so that you can avoid (as much as possible) learning the quirks of a new
DE just to use PCBSD.

> 3) However that is not the enquiry. Now PCBSD have the unique possibility
> to win the usual users: Linux isn't going well (and will not); Windows
> is  high-value item; PCBSD is nice for all I showed.
> Do you see any housewife which can execute your instructions?

I am glad that you are pleased with PCBSD. We are attempting to make it
easy to use and minimize the amount of terminal time needed so that a
computer-illiterate person can use it easily. I have gotten a number of
people I know to switch over to it, most of those being computer users
who don't even realize there is such a thing as a terminal, so I think
we are getting to that point gradually, but there is always more to do.

> Thanks
> Best regards
> Serghey
>

> On 14 September 2011 20:10, Ken Moore <ken at pcbsd.org
> <mailto:ken at pcbsd.org>> wrote:
>
>     -snip-
>
>>>         >
>>>         > 2) GNOME.
>>>         >
>>>         > I installed many PBIs with success, then deleted some
>>>         shortcuts from
>>>         > desktop in order to use GNOME-menu. Alas, they were absent
>>>         in menu :(
>>>         > After moving from trash to desktop, the shortcuts had not
>>>         been restored
>>>         > up to operable state.
>>>         >
>>>         >
>>>         > Best regards
>>>         > Serghey
>>>

>     As to this error, I just installed the GNOME desktop to test it. I
>     found that installing PBI's via the AppCafe worked flawlessly,
>     with both desktop icon and menu icon in the appropriate place and
>     functional. What PBI did you install that did not have a menu
>     icon, but did have a desktop icon? I ask this because some
>     programs do not have either Menu or Desktop icons, but if there is
>     a desktop icon there should be a corresponding menu entry as well.
>     If there is one but not the other, let me know and I can fix that
>     for the PBI.
>
>     Trashing desktop icons:
>     I found that GNOME was unable to restore the desktop icon after
>     trashing with the error: "Could not determine original location of
>     '(desktop entry)'  ".
>     However, by dragging the icon from the trash back to the desktop
>     and running it, I was given the warning that is was an untrusted
>     application and choices to launch anyway, Mark as trusted, or
>     cancel. By launching anyway, the program started without a
>     problem. Marking it as trusted simply returned the icon to its
>     original look on the desktop, and it started normally when running
>     it after that.
>
>     Instead of dragging the desktop icon from the trash back to the
>     desktop, I also tried re-installing the desktop icon by right
>     clicking on the application in the AppCafe and selecting "Install
>     Desktop Icons". This replaced the icon on the desktop without a
>     problem and the icon worked just fine as well.
>
>     So in other words, I was unable to duplicate your error with the
>     GNOME desktop and the desktop icons/menu entries. If you have some
>     additional information to try and nail down when this error
>     happened, I will try to reproduce/fix it here.
>
>     Thanks for the report!
>
>     --
>     ~~ Ken Moore ~~
>     PC-BSD/iXsystems